do you allow your hard drives to spin down?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dorkultra, Sep 12, 2009.

1. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

looking for opinions on this. i let mine spin down after 10 minutes to cut down on heat...but i have added another fan so they always run cool

if i'm looking for reliability and long life, is it ok to always let them spinning?

2. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

never have them set to shut down and never have a fan over them.

3. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

mine stay on forever. seem to have better luck just leaving things on and running all the time with an occasional power off/shutdown

4. TomDlgns

TomDlgns OT Supporter

my server has 6 hard drives in it.

5 of them are part of this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...21405&cm_re=supermicro-_-17-121-405-_-Product

it has a fan on the back.

however, the server is on 24/7/365 with no additional fans and is only off whenthe power is out and the battery backup runs out of power.

5. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

:werd: I power down monthly and open up the case to blow out dust, past that I keep everything running all the time. The way I see it is that for a desktop machine the load is maybe 1/10th of what a server gets in terms of I/O, processing, etc. so the drives and whatnot aren't even breaking a sweat most of the time. No reason to keep power-cycling them since if anything, the process of spinning them down, parking the heads, and then powering back up is harder on them than just letting things run.

6. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

Oh yea forgot about my servers.... they stay on all the time. I don't think they are ever powered off except when I use an APC to trip the power for reboot.

Some lady brought a dell into the office on monday the drive died. Wouldn't power on. Manufacturers warranty ran out on Sept 4th this year was only a year old. Had a hitachi deskstar 500 gig sata drive in it which are crappy drives in my opinion but I got one in one of my old computers thats I dunno 7 years old I guess, still going....

7. SeeVinceRun

SeeVinceRun Currently In Prison OT Supporter

Ive had so many "deathstars" shit the bed on me. I think I have two in the house right now that are dead or dying a slow, loud death.

8. Hate Crime

Hate Crime Don't Hate OT Supporter

4 hard drives(plus a 150 GB raptor for the OS) in an antec 900 case running 24/7 for 2 years with no issues

9. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I always run everything hot, full of dust, and forever. Eventually the box is full of lint and is actually a block of foam inside more than an open desktop.

The computer never seems to mind.

10. dorkultra

sounds good, mine will stay on 24 hours a day now

i use several external drives as backups every week. i have no problem allowing those to spin down. actually, i disconnect and shelve them just in case i take a large surge

11. Sailor Jerry

Sailor Jerry OT Supporter

One of the first things I do when I install windows is disable that. I absolutely hate the lag when I go to use one of my drives and it has to spin up.

12. dorkultra

i know that my uverse dvr always spins down the hard drive after so many minutes of inactivity

i work at a cable company, we have the ability to add a code onto our dvrs so that they never spin down the disk. they still die often because people treat them like crap

13. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

I've had several *brand new* Motorola DVR boxes die even with barely any use.... I think it's more a shitty product issue than anything else.

And coincidentally, I noticed many of them have Hitachi Deskstar SATA drives in them :mamoru:

14. TomDlgns

TomDlgns OT Supporter

how are they abused?

i am not disagreeing with you, but doesnt your average user just set the cable box on the shelf and plug it in?

i know Comcast rarely brings new boxes at their installs. everything is refurbed.

15. dorkultra

looking at the boxes that come into the converter room, some of them looked like they have been dropped.
    i see how people put the box in their car when they pick it up. also, it has a crappy ass 160gb maxtor pata drive inside, i think its a quickview drive - those drives are made for dvrs

we refurb the dvrs if they come back with no reported errors. if they come in with a disk error, we send them back to sciatlanta. i'm not sure what they do with them