MMA Do you adjust your strategy for different body types?

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by furst, Mar 26, 2008.

1. furst

furst THE BOWRD OT Supporter

I'm a smaller guy. Against big and heavy opponents I generally try to look for any speed and agility advantage I may have. I find myself looking for the back often when I'm against an opponent much bigger than I am.

Other than that I do not play it much differently, regardless of who I'm facing. I feel that if I had more insight through experience it would be different. I notice that thick and compact people with short limbs are the most difficult for me to deal with, especially in terms of finishing.

What are some ways you adjust your technique for different body types? What body type are you?

2. pepsi

pepsi Cut my life into pieces

well for tall skinny guys with monkey like reach. i might step in with my punches. i'm not really experienced at ring fighting. but for long reach, i guess counter punching would be a partial answer, take a few weak shots in order to get a good shot in. i'll have to spar more to figure things out more. as for body type. i'm tall, but have relatively short arms and legs for my large torso and big head.

6'2"
    72" fingertip to fingertip reach
    30" inseam

3. Hillary

Hillary fukc yaeh. ew waitled long enough. nujgses of hill

In guy's competition, I generally play guard. I just have more control.

With girls, I play guard or top game, whichever I feel like.

4. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

Whoever, wherever, I always use the shocker.

5. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

i dont like to do triangles on gigantic people

6. furst

furst THE BOWRD OT Supporter

Mmhmmm, that shit just doesn't work on someone over a certain size.

7. Optamix

Optamix New Member

If they are bigger than me I try to stay off my back, use arm drags to get on the back if I am on the bottom. If they are long and lanky I go for lots of arm bars.

8. teep

teep New Member

Usually everyone is bigger than me so I always look to play a speedy top game when grappling. If I get planted on my back I really like half guard sweeps or I try to get back on my feet. I'd really love to learn/practice more half guard stuff and eventually incorporate x guard and butterfly guard more into my game.

I seriously have a disadvantage in reach when I box so I try to stay in the pocket and just keep pressing forward. Ideally I'll be close enough so I can comfortably throw punches and kicks (I have stumps for legs) and he'll be too cramped to throw real good crisp shots.

9. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

Nah Im the biggest strongest guy in the class I have noticed others tend to change their games to it usually attempting to take my back.