MIL Do we really need 4 separate branches?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by seven, Mar 2, 2008.

1. seven

seven New Member

Serious Question.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of having 4 services as opposed to having one integrated military.

When we go fight now, we go as a joint force. Also, it seems that having a joint force might be more efficient when it comes to use of manpower and equipment.

Gimme your thoughts, I'm doing research for a briefing I'm gonna give later on this topic.

2. EYOB

EYOB Guest

I touch myself in the morning, noon, and at night time.

3. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

It would solve a lot of communication problems we currently have between the services. It would also simplify the budget to a point, but the infighting between branches would increase. Downside is you lose a lot of the history and pride individuals take in their service. A lot of Marines join, and fight, just for the honor of being a Marine. Take Accord for an example of that. Same can be said for the other branches. Take that away and you lose a lot of dedicated service members.

There are numerous points for and against having one military service. Colonel Hackworth discusses the positives in the book "About Face" that makes for a good read.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2008
  4. EYOB

EYOB Guest

They are separated because they are different.

The Marine Corps is a different branch for honorary purposes.

5. seven

seven New Member

i'll look for the book, thanks.

BTW I'm not taking any side on this matter, i just want to do an informational briefing about it.

6. Mangos

Mangos New Member

i thought there were 5

7. seven

seven New Member

Really it's just the Army/Navy/Air Force. Marines are part of the navy and Coast Guard is part of the navy in wartime. am i missing something?

8. evan2

evan2 Guest

Well you dont join the navy and become a marine though....the marines are a dept of the Navy

Like the AF used to be the army air core until 1947 when we became our own air force

we all have different day to day missions...

9. Asherman

Asherman New Member

Google "Parameters". Parameters is the Army Command College quarterly publication and the articles they choose to publish are better than first rate. What you get is the best thinking from the some of the brightest and most promising officers in the Army. I don' particularly recall an article that is absolutely on-point for your question, but a bit of research into their past issues would very likely find at least one thoughtful article to help you.

Parameters is a must read for those interested in where our professional military is headed, and who might be the leading stars of tomorrow.

10. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

shut your whore mouth

11. seven

seven New Member

I'd say in the long run our missions are pretty much the same.

The way war is conducted now, the services are just used to train organize and equip, not fight. They are there to supply people to the unified commanders/combatant commanders who conduct the warfare operation.

I'm new to the military, so i know my knowledge isn't perfect, but i think the fact that we fight as a joint force merits this topic. We should at least look into it.

12. seven

seven New Member

Another point of discussion is the Air Force as an independent service, many people argue the Air Force is a superfluous service, and that the army and navy can pick up it's mission and be more effective at it.

13. evan2

evan2 Guest

we have more cargo boats then the navy yet they have more air craft or something like that

we also provide ISR to the army, if the army can handle it why dont they

14. whitecouch

whitecouch spendin' our golden years in OT Supporter

Where does a strategic bomber fall into the Army or Navy mission? Just the tip of the iceberg. The Air Force provides a lot of services that can not quite fit into the other branches. I could see it going civilian without much trouble though. Wouldn't have to pay Services personnel the same as Comm. and Intel. :dunno:

BTW: Its Army Air Corps not "core".:wavey:

15. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

only way the navy and army could do what the AF does would be to simply absorb the AF, the coast guard could do what the AF does if they took over the AF. So that argument dosent really make sense.

16. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

Where does strategic bombing fit into the mission of supporting the Air Force? The Air Force supports the ground troops of the Army and Marine Corps, and it's mission could easily be absorbed back into the Army.

17. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

It won't ever happen. Too many people in hi places would lose their jobs.

18. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

you'd also get the whole "shitty at everything, good at nothing". The navy is trying to reduce rates as much as possible, causing people who used to be good what they do have to deal with 14x more things instead so they know a little about each.

19. whitecouch

whitecouch spendin' our golden years in OT Supporter

Where do you propose the Strategic Bombing mission fall within the Army? It fits nicely in Air Combat Command along with Fighters as a specialized war fighting command. Air Mobility Command contains cargo / airlift / mobility aircraft and is a dedicated mobility command. How can you integrate that into the Army without simply adding their own commands? What about Cyber Command? Will that just fall into the signal corps? The whole point of a separate Air Force is to have the decisions from Chief of Staff made by someone from that branch. Merging just muddys the waters, why put that much on the shoulders of one Chief of Staff when there can be several. They're best left alone. Think of it this way, we're all integrated under the Secretary of Defense and we all have the same Commander in Chief.

20. greenpillow

greenpillow New Member

Humm.. the movie JARHEAD... lolz

21. OkiDiver

OkiDiver New Member

woah woah woah buddy :squint::nono:

We are definitely our own branch of service. I wasn't an PO3 last time I checked.

22. fixmefixmyhead

fixmefixmyhead OT Supporter

haven't read all the posts yet but i think the marine corps should be all infantry. army no infantry. but other jobs such as combat engineer and eod. and every other army MOS. airforce should be fixed wing only. navy should stay navy.

23. Sharkticon

Sharkticon The safest place in combat is on an AEGIS Class Gu

The Marines are NOT a part of the Navy. The Navy just gets the Marines to where they need to be.

The Coast Guard is not a part of the Navy. I could be wrong but AFAIK, the Coasties are Dept. of Transportation and not necessarily a military force.

24. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

marines are department of the navy. ive always heard coast guard is DOT until "a time of war" which they become DON. the whole "time of war" thing needs to be reevaluated imo. we're never not going to be at war now, its not like back in the day when war meant world war 1/2/Vietnam/etc.

25. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

and i asked the question once marines vs army and was explained marines invade army occupies. obviously that is not true anymore as we have marines that are not only still in iraq/afghanistan but are spending just as much if not more time there than the army.