Do we have a road bike crew?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Scottwax, Mar 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

I've just started riding again after a 25 year layoff. Yeah, late time I seriously rode, I was 20. :noes:

Anyway, in mid-January, a customer said I could have the Trek Multi-Track bike he had hanging in his garage as long as I have been detailing his cars (about 6-7 years). Nice bike, reasonably light for a hybrid, 21 speeds. Between the time I got the bike and through the middle of last week, I put about 285 miles on it. Only problem was, the guy who gave me the bike is several inches taller than I am and the larger frame was stretching me out and after 15-18 miles, I was really uncomfortable.

I was looking at the local bike shop for a road bike and even an entry-level bike was in the $650-1000 range! I was seriously looking at a 21 pound, 27 speed Trek that was marked down from $849 to $750. I mentioned it to my brother and he said he'd sell me his Cannondale R400 Racing bike for $150 or a wash/wax on his Odyssey and his wife's Mountaineer. The bike is about 5 years old, has maybe 500 miles on it. Really excellent shape. Weighs 20 pounds and has 14 gears. Fits me a lot better too. I am already averaging a good 1.5 mph faster than the Trek and I feel a lot better after I finish riding. I've put 85 miles on it since last Thursday, weather permitting, I should end up with close to 100 miles just from Monday to Friday.

What I am looking for is advice on improving my average speed (almost 17 mph) and increasing my daily distance, which right now is around 17-19 miles per ride. I've being riding the paved back trails at the local park, 7 miles one way, plus the entrance of the park is about 1/2 mile from where I live and another .4 miles to the entrance of the back trails. I'd prefer to stay on the trails and off the streets, too many assholes try to see how close they can get to you.

Also, how long does it take to get used to the shoes that clip into the pedals? Right now, I am wearing my running shoes and using the pedals with the toe clips. My brother has the other pedals but can't find them, although he did have the shoes in the bag with the rest of the stuff for the bike. Hopefully he can find the pedals because even cheap ones are in the $35-50 range! In addition, do the biking pants really help? I've lost 10 pounds since I started riding and want to lose another 25-30 pounds so I want to hold off a little while until I get closer to my goal so I am not buying another pair every month. However, if they make enough of a difference, I will consider it.

BTW, if any of y'all ride at night (no choice before daylight savings time kicked in for me), the CatEye HL-EL520 Power Opticube headlight is like frickin' HIDs for a bike! Much better than the Trek LED headlight I had.

2. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

I didnt really read any of that, but ccrooks is getting pretty serious into biking

3. godbox

godbox New Member

I'm into biking, I ride cat 5 for a team in Central VA. I dont know if I'll ever be seriously competitive seeing as how I have muscle other places than just my legs however. But I'm not too bad considering.

4. godbox

godbox New Member

Sorry didnt see all those questions.
    Clip in shoes help tremendously. You'll fall once or twice once you get them.
    Riding in some grass might help, but all the times I've seen people fall is coming to a stop in a bad gear for the situation and freaking out and falling.
    The shorts....they help. Most of it is just being annoyed with baggy clothes flopping in the wind, but if you start doing rides/racing you'll probably want them so you dont feel left out.

5. Hamster

Hamster Active Member

I think The Great Outdoors crew would know better

6. ccrooks

ccrooks New Member

17 mph is a pretty good average speed... i'm guessing you're riding on flats, though? (no hills?) usually around here, with the hills that i climb, i only average about 14 mph :o

if you wanna increase your avg. speed and distance at the same time, i don't really know if that's gonna happen... work on riding farther and once your endurance starts to go up, your speed should as well

shoes make a HUGE difference... that right there should raise your avg. speed (when i got mine, my avg. speed went up about 1 mph from where it was when i was wearing sneakers). the shoes do take some getting used to, and you probably will fall once or twice, but it happens to everyone. riding in short grass will make the fall more comfortable, but the best way to learn, i think, is by riding on a trainer. if you don't have one, just get on the bike near enough to a wall that you can put a hand out to keep yourself upright. clip in and out about 20 times or until you feel comfortable before trying it on the street. i've seen plenty of people wipe out before b/c they forgot that their feet were clipped in and when they remembered, freaked out b/c it was too late :o

as far as shorts, they're a godsend. without them, my ass would be so sore after even short rides. plus, as was mentioned before, baggy clothes are just annoying after a while when they're flapping and flopping around in the wind

hope that helped

7. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

check out the great outdoors

most of the bikers on OT hang there

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.