do water coolers for pc's break easliy?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mr Bruce Wayne, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Yes, but if you coat the motherboard in crisco then water won't hurt it.

2. seriously though.. and what part does the watercooler cool? the mobo ? does it mount onto it ?

3. Nefarious77

Nefarious77 Guest

Water coolers replace the heatsinks in your PC. Any where you need to cool something like a processor or video card, you buy the proper adapter (made with a copper base) and splice it into the water line. The copper adapter draws heat from the part and the water cools it while it passes by. There are many ways you can set one up. If you want more info, check this out - http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=759705

That is a great forum and I suggest you register and research.

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

To add to Nefarious' post:

Strictly speaking, the "water blocks" that attach to various hotspots inside your computer (CPU, GPU, Northbridge chip, etc etc) are really just heatsinks that are cooled by the flow of water instead of air. The heat that the water absorbs is dissipated by an air-cooled radiator mounted to the back of the case.

In other words, you still have just as many heatsinks (plus a radiator), you still have just as much noise (because you still need fans IN ADDITION to a waterpump), and you have a chemical flowing through your case which is potentially lethal to all of the other components therein. In exchange for that, you get somewhat more even heat distribution between the hotspots, and brief periods of high CPU usage have less of an effect on the CPU temperature because water takes more energy to heat up. However, because that heat still has to radiate into the air regardless of whether you use regular heatsinks or a watercooler, the system has the same efficiency either way; you can't beat physics.

Unless you have a problem with your CPU overheating and shutting down during brief usage spikes, it's better to go with the less-complicated and less-dangerous system and just use normal heatsinks.

5. vudoodoodoo

vudoodoodoo New Member

Waterblocks don't usually "break". It's mostly user error.
    I've been watercooling for years and have not had a part break on me.
    Watercooling is perfectly safe if you aren't stupid.
    Generally watercooling is more expensive, but is quieter than air cooling. Depends on what you pick for parts.
    I'm not saying aircooling is bad. There are many great aircooling products out there. It can be silent too, but you won't gain as much overlock as you would with water.
    If you want a truely silent setup, get a Tuniq Tower 120 for the CPU. It cools very well even w/o a fan.
    Again, it depends on your parts and what you want out of your PC.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2006
  6. Repentinus

Repentinus New Member

A good point however I have to argue on a couple of them.

First, you don't necessarily have to use water in a water cooler. There are liquid substitues that aren't too expensive that aren't conductive and therefore harmless. (Actually water itself doesn't conduct electricity, its the impurities but that's a whole nother discussion.)

Secondly, water coolers are more effecient at dissapation heat at sources where the blocks are. Imagine your car without a radiator and just a fan. Not near as useful.

And lastly, as said above, you still would want a fan inside do dissapate heat created by components that aren't covered by blocks.

7. vudoodoodoo

vudoodoodoo New Member

Ya, there are non-conductive liquids that you could use. I don't like them though. I remember a few people having problems with them.
    I like 90% distilled water and 10% antifreeze.

8. vudoodoodoo

vudoodoodoo New Member

What's your system? I could pick out the parts for you if you'd like.

9. vudoodoodoo

vudoodoodoo New Member

TEC air cooling will never be better than watercooling. Water is a better conductor than air.
    For $150, you could get a waterblock, radiator and pump. Won't be the best watercooing setup, but it'll be better than that Monsoon thing you listed.

10. example of very good watercooling setup please ??

what exactly does it cool

11. vudoodoodoo

vudoodoodoo New Member

The basic setup cools the CPU. Common setups cool the CPU, NB, GPU. Some people go as far as to cool their MOSFETS.
    Swiftech Storm Rev.2 - CPU
    Swiftech MCR220 - Radiator
    Swiftech MCP355/DangerDen DDC/Laing DDC - pump.
    Those are good parts. You can go higher, but it costs more.

12. can your gpu block and cpu block be on the same setup ? is that how its supposed to be ?

what else can you cool? gpu, cpu,....... do raptor hd's get hot? can u cool them too ?

13. vudoodoodoo

vudoodoodoo New Member

You can put all of them in the same loop or in seperate loops if you want.
    Raptors do get kinda hot. Hotter than other HD's. They have HD waterblocks too, but you don't need it. Just a low speed fan blowing on them should be OK.
    You should check out hardforums.com or something. It should give you a general idea of how watercooling setups work.

14. yeah im on it right now. that site is great

do u still need separate fans for your pc if ur water cooling ? or should it be additional .. ?

15. vudoodoodoo

vudoodoodoo New Member

A silent case fan or two would be good.

16. last 2 questions for a while. thanks for ur help voodoo .

does a reservoir really matter ? if so what size case and case features should i be looking for for adequate fan and water cooling ?

hope to raid0 some raptors and overclock x8600 and gpu

what are the 3 hottest things in a comp ? r u positive a decent fan is good for raptors ? in this setup ?

17. droopz

droopz New Member

For a great "all in one package" I really recommend the Swiftech Kits. I got the 'Ultra Extreme' or something and its a really good kit with topnotch parts. Most kits have cheap nasty parts as part of the packages.

18. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Why would you run anti-freeze in a PC, since it will never get cold, and anti-freeze conducts heat less efficiently than water?

19. peypomp.. little help with my previous post. would preciate the knowledge

20. vudoodoodoo

vudoodoodoo New Member

Rerservoir would help you w/ the initial fill/bleed. It will get all the air bubbles out pretty quick. Most people use a T line to fill their sytems because there is no space for a reservoir. It's personal preference.
    Yes a fan blowing over the Raptor would be fine. Hard drives are designed to run w/o fans blowing on them.
    The hottest items would be the GPU, CPU, NB.

21. vudoodoodoo

vudoodoodoo New Member

You have to mix a little of anitfreeze/coolant into your water. It helps fight corrosion and algae. If you run straight water, shit is gonna get fucked up.
    People who run chilled water (sub ambient or sub zero) use wash fluid becaues it won't get all icy.

22. Repentinus

Repentinus New Member

Also to answer one of you earlier question, you can have as many items on the same loop as you want/have tubing for. All the setups I've seen only run one loop.

23. iis there anything that would look like or is liquid metal we could use ?? besides mercury ?