Do waiters/waitress' hit on people or just working the tip?

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by DavidC, Aug 5, 2008.

1. DavidC

DavidC New Member

whats your guys opinions on this?

I was out at a club with some friends and we had a table. We had this cute waitress get us our bottle and then she came over and started talking to us. She kinda hung around so i struck up a conversation with her.

a while later i'm hanging out by the railing and looking downstairs and she comes over and starts chatting with me and continues to do this throughout the night while in between servicing other tables. She did make small talk with a few of my other friends but started telling me stuff like when she moved here, school, hobbies and told me her real name versus the "waitress" name. she also ended up taking a shot with me but who really turns down free alcohol.

Is this a sign of interest or was she strictly working to get more tip? :confused:

Though 20% gratuity is already included in the bill. And we had 2 bottles comped and really only paid for 1 bottle of liquor. :beer:

2. Yail Bloor

Yail Bloor OT Supporter

i'm sure waiters hit on guests

in my experience, waitresses won't flirt very much with someone they are interested in (they don't want to show interest)

but many will flirt for a tip

3. vodkacollins

vodkacollins New Member

ive done both

4. DavidC

DavidC New Member

well if she was flirting of tip, we didnt give it to her.
    i said i'll see her next week and she said to request her but yea thats just so she gets money.

yea i didnt get a good read on the situation and then i got drunk by the end of the night.

i do remember her asking for my name first and touching me on my arm while we were talking though.

5. sapient

sapient New Member

For sure waitresses will hit on you for tips. I'm a male waiter and I do it all the time, and believe me, my female coworkers are much better at it.

That being said, it's not impossible that she could have actually been interested. I'd say the best way to deal with the situation is to, after paying and tipping well (don't go overboard or you'll just look ridiculous, 25%-35% would be appropriate in a restaurant, probably clubs too depending on the drink prices) ask her for her number. This way, the tip is already taken care of, she's not worried about it. If she smiles, looks happy that you asked, and starts immediately giving it to you, good. If she looks any way nervous or hesitates, or just generally doesn't look 100% enthused, say nevermind, you understand not giving your number out to customers.

6. sapient

sapient New Member

.... Wow. You likely lost right there. Every server I've ever known instantly judges you as complete scum as soon as you tip poorly.

Not a good idea if you wanted to charm her.

Standard tip-increasing tactics while at the same time being also standard interest indication. Like I said before, all of this could have just been her working for a tip, or her being curious about you. You should have asked for her number, but you got drunk instead, and from the sound of it, tipped her poorly.

7. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

I definitely used to flirt when I served. It was amazing how much fake laughing and smiling at a table of men got me a far bigger tip than I deserved.

Next time get her number.

8. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

just working the tip.

I decrease the tip for obvious flirtatious behavior and fucking bullshit and increase the tip for professionalism, efficiency, and intelligence.

9. DavidC

DavidC New Member

well the drunkenness was because we had 3 bottles of alcohol among 8 people. I wasn't wasted and sloppy or anything (to the best of my knowledge) just had a really good buzz. No one said i did anything dumb.

The bill had 20% gratuity added to it already so we didn't tip on top of that. Would you guys have tipped on top of the gratuity thats already there?

10. iwishyouwerebeer

Hell no. 20% is plenty.

11. sapient

sapient New Member

Ahhhh, gratuity was included, ok that's fine then. And if you were within control, you're fine there too. Your original post made it sound like you were sloshed and barely tipped. If gratuity was included, I would have left it at that too. Next time work on getting her number.

12. BlackIce72

BlackIce72 New Member

I've asked the HOTTEST bartenders/waitresses this question.

Girlfriends of friends, or my friends who work, or just ask the bartender who is currently serving me.

ONLY 9s and 10s, though (I hate rating like that, but for the sake of this conversation it was important).

Note: I don't 100% believe this because I've seen otherwise, but it's interesting to hear it coming from them.

The general consensus was this:

-If it's just some guy coming in and isn't a regular, then he doesn't have much of a chance and she will show attention for tips.
    -If a guy is very good looking and charming/funny/etc. there's only a small chance she'd give her # or take his-- but still a chance
    -The most effective way (in their opinion) to meet up is to get to know ALL the workers, be known as a cool guy, and have her feel like she won't be judged for being 'romantic' with customers -- and this is not over the course of a night but the guy is a regular
    -Talk to her after work (at a party if you're invited that she's at) or if you just so happen to see HER as a customer in the bar or another one -- basically find out where the bartenders there hang out

I disagree with some, but generally there's truth to this (the hottest bartenders probably have an idea what works on them seeing as they get hit on 100 times a night at least).

I prefer they are as cold as ice rather than acting all sexy personally.

13. Yail Bloor

Yail Bloor OT Supporter

now that you mention it, this was the exact situation when i met my wife at her work

14. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

Yes. In fact there are places based around this fact:

[​IMG]

15. Jester

Jester OT Supporter

Good call. I've done both of these with waitresses, bartenders, and strippers.

16. coldstone

coldstone New Member

This is the truth.

17. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

It's both.

Some girls/guys do it for the bigger tip and others are actually interested. I have never served, but i've had a girl (who was serving me) give her number more than once... at both a bar and restaurant.

And I could imagine; if I was single and working as a server and I had chemistry with one of my customers I would probably giver her my number as well.. or at a minimum, flirt with her.

18. iwishyouwerebeer

:werd: There were many many times I thought my customer was hot and would flirt with them specifically because I was actually interested.

It's one of those things that's hard to determine, but I think it's still always worth a shot to make a move.

19. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

Everything she did sounded like something she'd do to get more in tip or management instructed her to be nice to your table. She initiated everything so that's the difference in my experience.

20. iwishyouwerebeer

I would have never ever gone as far as that chick did just to get a tip.

21. JordanClarkson

I've had a waiter take a shot with us once. It was a guy though. :)

22. iwishyouwerebeer

Oh I'd take a shot :mamoru: but I wouldn't follow the guy around to chat with him all the time, tell him my "real" name (where other than strip clubs do they use fake waitress names :hsugh:?) and then divulge all my personal info :dunno:

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  23. JordanClarkson

I never knew that waitresses used fake names. :wtf:

24. ~stangzorized~

~stangzorized~ New Member

He was probably at a strip club hitting on a stripper :mamoru:

25. iwishyouwerebeer

Yeah....that whole fake name thing is throwing me off.

DavidC, where were you when this happened?