MMA Do they actually teach you anything at free classes?

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by f-g, Aug 22, 2007.

1. f-g

f-g OT Supporter

I was looking for some gyms around my area and came across a couple that offer a free class. Do they just talk about their philosophy and stuff or do you actually get to roll around?

2. Bausk

Bausk New Member

Our free classes are always a normal class, nothing special. You usually don't do hard sparring on your first day but you will get the idea.

3. Ricey McRicerton

Ricey McRicerton New Member

x2

At our place you get a free week worth of classes to see if you like it. It's just the normal ass schedule we run. You're welcome to come watch/sit in/roll/whatever.

4. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

just do a couple drills usually, and warmup. the couple gyms i've been to didn't let you roll, especially if you come from a grappling background already. some people go to another gym and end up trying to prove they can beat those students, os they're careless with submissions.

5. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

some places you go to some free class and they teach you some generic ass crap that every one else teaches or you already know

6. f-g

f-g OT Supporter

thanks, I'll just check it out sometime. I use to wrestle and roll around w/ a few of my friends who practiced bjj so I'm dying to get back on the mats :hs: how much should I expect to pay?

7. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

$60 - $100

8. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

It'll be a normal class, you're primarily there to observe and gauge how well you think the class work for you. Usually the instructor allows you to participate in drills/technique and may give you detailed instruction to sell you on the quality of the class. As well as making sure that you don't stall the class or your training partner. Hopefully the class has an extra blue belt or higher to give you that detailed instruction and not accidentally hurt you when drilling.

Depending on how you flow through the drills, the instructor may feel comfortable allowing you to spar.

Back when I first started bjj I had 0 experience in any martial art training. I didn't spar at all the first week.

I just changed camps recently and the 2nd day there the instructor tells me in front of his entire class "I want you to tap all of them out." :o
    I'm like "ok" :hsugh:

9. Tonster MBA

Tonster MBA OT'r of the Year 2013 OT Supporter

depends on what gym offers some are full MMA gym so expect to pay more, for only bjj 60-100 is good.