WEB Do the aesthetics of a site matter when it comes to relevant information?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Necromancer, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

I.e. blogs.

I'm starting to over-think and spending too much trying to fix up my main site when I don't know too much html (Which I should at least try to properly learn:o)

But if the information is relevant to what the reader is looking for, does the site have to be :eek3:? I'm sure it helps but it's just a questions I've been pondering. :o

2. LOLZILLA

LOLZILLA New Member

Depends on, guess what, the content.

3. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

As far as retention of viewers or SEO?

I think that it mostly has to be functional and probably not overly dressed up to keep viewers. There was discussion of this in another thread, search plentyoffish or something like that, it kinda explains the info and has a link or two to back it up.

As far as SEO.. the more graphical shit you have the less it's going to see actual text, so if you use a lot of graphical navigation and frills, make sure to properly use ALT tags, etc.. I probably wouldn't really mess with flash much other than maybe advertisements

4. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

damn

5. symptic

symptic I run companies

PlentyOfFish
    Craig's List
    Hot or Not

Ugly can be good for at least two reasons:
    • It suggests you spend more time on good content (assuming what content the reader has read is good)
    • It has a 'homegrown' feel to it. People like supporting things that aren't from some company or 'the man' and good design tends to rub off that way on people.

6. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

Good point.