Do SSD's get hot enough to require fans?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Graham, Mar 11, 2010.

1. Graham

Graham OT Supporter

I'd like to put together a micro-atx build with an SSD drive, and I wonder if I would have to get a case with drive fans.

:dunno:

2. kimsland

kimsland New Member

There are no moving parts and their operating temperature ranges are generally above standard hard drives. Therefore they do not heat up

3. Graham

Graham OT Supporter

Well I wasn't asking if they heat up as much as whether the temps they run at require cooling.

4. kimsland

kimsland New Member

I say no.
    But then again I have a house fan blowing on my open case computer, because I tend to be over cautious.
    And a few degrees cooler I believe does make a difference

5. Graham

Graham OT Supporter

Oh, ok then. I've seen some nice micro cases with drive fans anyway, it's just a matter of finding one that can hold a minimum of 3 drives with proper cooling.

I saw an Antec micro-atx case on newegg that looks sweet, but it comes with a psu that's only something like 350 watts and the drives sit on a flat surface with no direct cooling.

6. Graham

Graham OT Supporter

7. ldaggerl

ldaggerl New Member

I wouldn't say you need a dedicated fan for the SSD but I would say to make sure that you have proper air flow through the case to move the heat out. If your feeling cautious I say get any fan 80-120mm and jimmy rig it in front of the hard drive and have it blow through all of them.

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

They do heat up, yes. Anything with electrical resistance heats up when electricity runs through it. However, with no moving parts and no magnetic material to worry about, heat expansion and Curie demagnetization is not a concern.

Still, it couldn't hurt to put a fan on it. Nothing ever broke because its temperature stayed too close to ambient.

9. Graham

Graham OT Supporter

makes sense.

:bigthumb:

10. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

An SSD consumes like 2-3W. You will never feel any heat coming out of an SSD.

11. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

I don't have an SSD.....
    But I have put my hand on some plenty hot memory modules.

While I am tempted to say that an SSD has the potential to get plenty hot (based on my experience with hot memory modules) I don't think an SSD would get hot enough to need a fan for itself.

Now, if you were to enclose it inside a teeny tiny case and run some application that used the SSD constantly, you might need one for the case.

But this is all conjecture.

12. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

Thats actually worse for the computer.

13. kimsland

kimsland New Member

You know I wasn't actually sure :cool:

Here's my "normal" internal fans:
    • Internal Power Supply Fan (well this is obvious, but I do like the large Fans that Power Supplies have (underneath and at the back)
    • CPU Fan (ok another obvious one! But I have to mention it)
    • Case Fan at rear (This sucks Hot air out; I've always wanted one on the case roof actually)
    • Case Fan at front (This blows on the HDDs, and just creates the Air flow in the entire case)
    • Video card Fan (another obvious one, but still important)
    So, off I go playing the normal games with 6 Fans blowing away!
    And still the CPU fan goes to turbo overload speed! As far as I'm concerned.

So I removed the side case plate, and put a huge (standard) house fan blowing on it (I found speed setting 2 works the best ;))
    I play the games again, and whoohoo! The CPU fan stays in its normal speed (ie it doesn't sound like a jet plane taking off!)
    And all is good again :)

So you tell me. What the hec is wrong. Maybe I need a better heatsink on the CPU (ok that's the only thing I haven't done), it just has a a standard large square type box heatsink presently. But I do know you can get these spunout types that go in all directions :big grin:

The house fan works well ;)

14. deusexaethera

So what you're saying is you've never owned an SSD. I do, I have one in my laptop, and it damn well does get hot. Hell, even my USB flash drive gets hot if I leave it plugged in long enough.

Go touch a nightlight bulb sometime, and tell me 2-3W of electricity produces no noticeable heat.

15. deusexaethera

Get a better case. My motherboard temperature dropped 10C when I got a case with better ventilation. If you never want to have to worry about heat buildup again, the Antec 900 is about the best you can get.

For a long time, the best heatsinks were the ones with threaded pins instead of fins coming off the heatsink block. Nowadays, the best ones are the round "flower"-style heatsinks made from a bunch of thin metal plates bolted together and splayed-out around a large fan that sits in the center. Zalman makes a couple. Never seen anything that works better.

16. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

:rofl: I've owned 11 different SSD's. The PCB of my motherboard is warmer to the touch than the SSD's in my system. :mamoru:

17. deusexaethera

Very strange. Mine definitely get warm. Never thought to touch the motherboard though, too scared of shorting something out.

18. kimsland

kimsland New Member

Thanks for the info.
    Also relating to topic, I'm not sure if the SSD is getting hot, or the things around it are getting hot, in turn heating the SSD drive.
    But if the SSD drive is getting hot (for whichever reason) then yes purchase a fan to also blow on the drives.

19. Slash

Slash New Member

None of the 50+ SSDs ive installed in customer machines and my own have ever felt anything but ambient temperature.....

Of course i'm using Intel X-25M drives, so I cant speak for Patroit or OCZ