Do modern printers auto-align the paper?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by nLinked, Aug 30, 2007.

1. nLinked

nLinked New Member

I have a HP Officejet 6310 inkjet printer. I was wondering; if some of the paper in the paper tray isn't perfectly in-line, would the printer - when printing - automatically align the paper as it is being fed in?

Do they scan to see exactly were the paper is once a sheet goes in and make the minor adjustments before printing actually starts?

2. copiertalk

copiertalk Secure Our Borders! OT Supporter

No. some models with auto duplex do but only on the second side.

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

The paper is aligned according to a microswitch that detects when the leading edge of the page gets pulled into the rollers -- after that, the rollers rotate a specific number of times, and mathematically-speaking, the top edge of the paper should be perfectly-aligned underneath the printhead. This method doesn't work if the rollers are coated with paper dust and don't grip the paper properly, though.

4. nLinked

nLinked New Member

I had a feeling they do this. When it takes paper in slightly at an angle, it stops taking in the paper and makes a few different noises. Sometimes there's a high-pitched noise (whether a laser is in there making a noise I don't know), then it seems to print out perfectly.

5. deusexaethera

Lasers don't make noise.

6. copiertalk

The plygon mirror motor does though.

7. nLinked

nLinked New Member

Do you get those mirrors in inkjets or lasers?

8. copiertalk

They have not used a microswitch to detect paper in the paper path in close to 20 years.

IT is not the number of revolutions that time the image process, it is the registration sensor on the length of the paper. How does a printer know if the paper is letter-r or legal? by the rise and fall of the registration sensor.

I do not know where you learned printers but you should go and look over your text books again.

9. copiertalk

Laser printer.

10. copiertalk

The noise is probably a clutch slipping. It comes out properly on the paper because there is buckle at the registration roller for this reason exactly. There is no perfect method to transport paper so they put a buckle in the paper at the registration roller to align it with the printing method whether it is ink based or toner based.

11. nLinked

nLinked New Member

I just printed a document and had to print double sided (manually by waiting for the page to print and reinserting the paper).

When I reinserted the paper for the second side to print, I put it on-top of the existing stack of paper that was already loaded into the printer. Because of this, it was perfectly stacked like the others. I let it print and it came out slightly bent (the printout).

Next time, in a mission-critical print job, I'd obviously remove the existing paper first and let the single paper go in alone. I guess my printer (although a new model), does not accurately allign the page before printing?

I was hoping it would have some advanced sensor to check that the page it fed in edge-to-edge in a straight line before printing. Maybe not all printers then (not even new ones)?

12. copiertalk

You have to remember what paper is made of.

Wood pulp, Glue and Moisture.

When you heat a sheet of paper close to 200 degrees celcius in a fuser, you will cause the moisture to turn into vapor, the glue will melt a little and you will get what is called paper curl. That curl is eliminated in a printer that has a duplexer by what is known as de-curl rollers.

Take a piece of paper and lay it flat on your desk. Next run a sheet through the printer. Lay the two sheets side by side. you will notice the one that passed through the printer is bent. This is known as curl and causes jams and misregistration. The paper curl does not allow the paper to hit the sensor as it should.

13. copiertalk

Look at the end of a ream of paper. On the label at the end, there should be an arrow. that is the print this side first arrow.

If there is no arrow, always print so the image is on the burst side first.

This will take care of alot of curl but not get rid of all the problem.

14. nLinked

nLinked New Member

I just noticed it uses a bright red laser inside my HP Officejet 6310 inkjet printer. I fed in an envelope but before printing, I left the paper size as A4. I looked inside as it took in the small envelope and could see a bright red laser scan over it. It beeped and on the LCD screen of the printer it said paper size is mismatched. It's quite intelligent for an inkjet! It cancelled the print automatically and nothing was printed.

I guess my one does use laser afterall.

15. deusexaethera

The burst side? What?

- - -

Now that you mention it, yes, some printers check the size and position of the paper according to how bright the reflection from the laser is, but that laser doesn't actually print anything. Laser printers use infra-red lasers that you can't see, and they get hot enough to set the paper on fire. (The laser doesn't hit the paper directly, though, it hits a glass roller that picks up toner and melts it onto the paper.)

16. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

I was going to ask you if you work with printers or something, but I see your name is copiertalk, lol. What an interesting topic to be an expert on. So many printer-dummies like me out there :).

17. deusexaethera

Well shit. I guess I'll defer to you on all printing-related topics henceforth.

Come around much?

18. copiertalk

Well you got the infra-red part right.

The laser does not get hot. The polygon mirror motor does and often a fan will be used to cool it on high volume units.

The laser will not set anything on fire.

The laser intensity never varies. It is the legth of time the laser is on that reflects if the dot will be white, grey or solid black.

The glass roller? The laser hits an aluminum cylinder coated with opc. It is not glass nor is it a roller. It is called a drum.

The toner is fused by a fuser roller or fuser sleave on some canon and hp models. Most others still use the standard heat roller.

It is an aluminium roller coated with teflon and heated to about 200 degrees celcius. the heat is provided by a ceramic element or a hologen lamp.

Burst side, I may have to take a pic to show you that one.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2007
  19. copiertalk

here all the time.

20. copiertalk

I have been in the industry for 20 years. I am trained to work on machines of various manufacturers from basic small hp desktops to 150+ ppm high volume black and white as well as a full line of production color.

21. copiertalk

This is a pic of the burst side of a ream of paper. You will want to throw the sheet below this away as it may have glue on it. Glue and drums do not play well together. It is better to throw away a half cent sheet of paper then buy a $200 drum.

[​IMG]

This is a pic of the end label. Good paper will have an arrow on the label but many manufacturers just use the rule of thumb posted above.
    [​IMG]

22. copiertalk

I have no idea what you were looking at, but if it was a laser, it would be sheilded and there are several safegaurds to service people from even disable the interlock and cheat the doors to watch the copy process. You may have been seeing a sensor or something but most of those work from infra-red sensors.

23. nLinked

nLinked New Member

Might be a sensor needing a light. It was big and red (approx 3 cm across) and flashed from right to left twice before printing. It was bright. Because I purposly specified the wrong size of paper in the printer's driver software (where you configure printing options before printing), it actually said I have put in the wrong size of paper for the print job on the LCD screen of the printer itself. It cancelled the printjob on its own.

24. copiertalk

yes, that probably was it although I will be the first to admit I suck at metric paper size charts. Why an industry built in japan on the metric system can not get americans to use the system is beyond me. All my friends look at me weird when they ask how long it is and I tell them it is 3 cm.

25. nLinked

nLinked New Member

Oh sorry, I mean the width of the light I saw inside when the HP took in the sheet was about 3 cm across (just over 1 inch). Big, bright red light.