Do Macs not like a wireless mice?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Skoles, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Skoles

Skoles Guest

I have gone through & tested quite a few wireless mice all which don't quite live up to what I want.

I've tried the MX1000 and a few inbetween down to this Kensington one I have now. All seem jittery and when trying to do precise movements (like clicking color swatches or tools in Illustrator) it's not smooth like my Logitech USB mouse is at work on my PC. Both are optical and both are on the low-end of mice. Does the wire make that much of a difference?

2. untoastytoast

untoastytoast The Glory Days

That's odd because i was kind of thinking the same thing yesterday when i bought an mx900 for use with my powerbook. When i first tested it out on a table cloth it didn't seem very precise, "jittery" would be a good way to describe it like you said. I thought it might be because of the surface, but i'm using it on a mouse pad right now and it's the same way. I'm probably going to take this mx900 back for a different mouse though.

3. BoredVersion

BoredVersion LOLTIDE

I have a wireless Microsoft mouse that works perfectly with my G4.

4. TurkeyChicken

TurkeyChicken New Member

I've got the MX900 with my Powerbook. I haven't had a problem with it except a few times i've taken it out of the cradle from charging and it gets all spastic when i try to use it. All I have to do is put it back in the cradle and take it back out and it works fine.

One thing you might be noticing is the "mouse acceleration" that osx has built into it.

It's a bit annoying, but i'm getting used to it.

5. Rev. Johnny Vegas

Rev. Johnny Vegas Rectal Ventriloquist

Only time I have problems with my MX900 is when I'm using on my couch - the fabric pattern gives all optical mice issues for some reason.

6. falconbrad

falconbrad "You're one angry white boy."

Or you could use the Mac BT mouse. Mine works perfectly.

7. Skoles

Skoles Guest

Need more than 1 button.

That Mac style BT mouse called "The Mouse" would be nice, but no scroll wheel.

8. weazl

weazl New Member

same

9. falconbrad

falconbrad "You're one angry white boy."

If you're talking about "The Mouse BT" by DVForge, it does have a scrollwheel, but the best reviews that I have read about that thing say that it's OK at best and downright terrible at worst. The biggest complaint seems to be that it feels cheap and eats through batteries like there's no tomorrow.

Rumor has it that Apple plans on releasing a two-button scroll wheel mouse with the next PB update, but somehow I just don't see that happening...

Anyway, I have bought two 3rd-party BT mice for my PB and they were both terrible for different reasons. I got an Apple BT mouse when I got my PB and I've decided I'm perfectly happy sticking with that for the time being. You get used to the lack of a second button and a scroll wheel. You get much better at using the KB to navigate. The one thing I do miss is being able to use the scroll wheel for zooming in CAD, but I also have a Wacom tablet, so I use that and the mouse in conjunction and it works well...

10. weazl

weazl New Member

i have the MX900 but some of the buttons don't work. the page forward and page back don't seem to work in firefox. is there software somewhere that will enable the these buttons?

11. Skoles

Skoles Guest

Heh, not me. Taking away the right-click feature in programs like Photoshop & Illustrator hurts. I have enough shortcuts to pound through I don't need to have one just to right-click. So Apple mice are out for me for now. Especially the investment for a BT mouse...just don't see the need.

12. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

I use a Logitech V500 with mine and have no complaints. i use it on my pc laptops and my powerbook.

13. Rev. Johnny Vegas

Rev. Johnny Vegas Rectal Ventriloquist

That is my biggest annoyance with my MX900 and Firefox under OS X.

14. untoastytoast

untoastytoast The Glory Days