do it yourself body work?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by SoySauciAl, Mar 6, 2006.

1. SoySauciAl

SoySauciAl Guest

im planning on getting my car painted and i heard its a hell lot cheaper if you do the body work yourself.. have any of you done that? strip the paint, welding, shaving/filling in emblems? how hard is welding? i want the door handles cut out and welded in with metal, a few rust spots possibly cut out.. or if i could get away with it just sanded down completely. i think i got everything down except for the welding.. any suggestions or websites on how to weld? thanks in advance!

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Take a paint and body class at your local community college. Seriously, it gives you hands on experience. Can't get that from a website.

3. SoySauciAl

SoySauciAl Guest

yea, but i dont have 3 hours a day, 3 days a week to go to class.

4. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

The one I took was a 4 hour class, one day a week. Body work isn't as simple as reading about it or watching a DVD then performing quality work.

5. SoySauciAl

SoySauciAl Guest

hm.. gotta look into that. thanks a lot. not to repaint.. but just for the body repairs and shaving some parts.

6. seismic

seismic New Member

There's little things that need to be learned that can only be found through experience.

There's proper ways to sand, so it doesn't show up under paint, along with proper grits to use, etc. A lot of practice can give you a good result.

7. MartyFukstein

MartyFukstein OT Supporter

autobody101.com

don't practice on your own car! use test panels or junk cars.