Do it All PDA, Phone, MP3, GPS, Email.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Serialpimp, Feb 12, 2006.

1. Serialpimp

Serialpimp New Member

Can you find me something to do the following?

My Needs:

I need GPS w/maps and addresses, I will be traveling to NY, Chicago, LA, San Fransisco, Italy, Germany, Charlotte, and some other places on a regular basis. Need to be able to find my hotel, airport and work addresses easily while traveling in these new cities.
    I need GPS and to get around in Houston, and to help me deal with the horrible traffic.

I need a cell phone that has good reception, and all your typical features. I currently have a Sprint Sanyo. I am not very happy with the reception, I find it hard to understand people on it, the speakerphone is great for listening, but people can't hear me when I talk back into it.

I would like a phone that has speaker phone, and/or one that has blue tooth, and/or I can attach a nice handfree kit to.

I would like to get my car setup like many Mercedes and such have, where my phone is built into my car stereo, with a mic and such, so I can talk while driving.

I need something, (blackberry, Dell Axium, Palm) that I can do emails with and I can sinc up with Outlook from my laptop computer. So I can read emails, calendars, schedules, etc from anywhere. So I can be shopping, driving, or on the golf course and my boss think I am working.

I know there are someof you out there that are far more in tune with all the goodies out there than I am.

Please make some recomendations of products and services.

Please provide pictures, links or model #s.

I will buy someone lunch if you come up with something really good that works well for me. I don't have a budget in mind, but am not going to spend money blindly, it has to provide value to me.

I don't think I need a handheld GPS, if I get a PDA with a map program on it, does this sound right?
    I would also like something that I can listen to MP3's on. I would want to store at least 100 MP3 Songs on it, to listen to on planes, etc. etc.

2. kungfuwoo

kungfuwoo New Member

HP just announced the hw6900 ipaq PPCphone. It has:

Integrated GSM/GPRS/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900mhz for quadband WORLD phone useage

Integrated Wifi AND Bluetooth

Integrated GPS for use in your car for directions

Integrated thumb keyboard for emails, texts, documents, etc.

miniSD slot for memory

It will do pretty much everything you want it to do.

However, its not out yet as it was just announced. If you don't mind having a bluetooth GPS receiver, any of the following will do everything mentioned above:

Cingular 8125/Imate KJAM/Qtek 9100

VZW/Sprint xv6700/PPC6700 (but WON'T work in other countries)

Treo 700w from VZW doesn't have wifi or built in GPS but does have the other stuff....

For what you mentioned, the ipaq hw6900 seems to fit the bill perfectly, or the Cingular 8125 with a bluetooth GPS receiver.

3. kungfuwoo

kungfuwoo New Member

BTW, the phone in my av is the Cing. 8125.

4. Serialpimp

Serialpimp New Member

So the TREO 700 doesn't have GPS,
    but the TREO 650 Does?
    I know hte TREO 650 has it, you just have to buy the GPS Receiver and throw it in your bag.

5. kungfuwoo

kungfuwoo New Member

Um, no, if you have to buy a GPS receiver, that doesn't mean that it has GPS. No Treo has GPS built-in. IN fact, the only model with true GPS on it is the HP 6515 and the upcoming hw6900.

The Treo 650 DOES NOT HAVE GPS. You can add it via buying a GPS receiver with basically any PDA

6. Serialpimp

Serialpimp New Member

I don't mind spending hte extra $250 for a GPS receiver and software,
    I don't mind spending $500-$600 on a PDA/Phone,
    if it can satisfy all my needs.

My understanding is that to receive constant emails on a TREO my computer has to be on and logged in and my outlook open....is this right?
    cause I have a laptop and its only out, when I am on it, so...........

I basically need to listen to MP3's on the plane,
    Make and Receive Phone calls,
    Receive Emails, not matter where I am,
    respond to those emails,
    Look at my Outlook Calendar,
    Use it as a GPS, to find hotels, offices in strange cities,

So far I know
    the blackberry doesn't do MP3's or GPS,
    the TREO does do MP3 and GPS,
    The TREO does NOT do Email like I need,
    Both do phone calls,
    Am I right about all this ?

I would prefer to stick with a product that I can use Sprint for, if possible,

I don't want to have to carry around all of the following,
    GARMIN GPS
    Cell Phone,
    PDA,
    Laptop,
    MP3 Players,
    Its too much shit to have on me all the time.

7. kungfuwoo

kungfuwoo New Member

I think what you want is the PPC6700 then if you want to stay with sprint (mind you, you can't use sprint phones overseas).

Just buy a bluetooth GPS receiver and you're almost set to go. right now, email doesn't get pushed to you like a blackberry, but soon will once the update for WM5 goes out. But you'll need an exchange server to get push email (much like the BB needs a bb server to push stuff to you).

A temporary solution would be to set your device to PULL messages every 5-15 minutes or so. Even tho it won't be instant, its still close enough where you shouldn't have too much of a problem.

8. Serialpimp

Serialpimp New Member

If I set it to check my email every20 minutes or so, won't that kill the battery really fast.

9. DSMTuning

DSMTuning New Member

sent a PM

10. kungfuwoo

kungfuwoo New Member

20 minutes isn't too bad, on EVDO it should pull messages fairly quickly