Do I want a hybrid?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Improvolone, Apr 4, 2005.

1. Improvolone

Improvolone New Member

I'm selling my 98 Ford Explorer Sport because within the next few years, I will be making some cross country trips and the mileage it gets is killing me as is. Naturally, I look at the Hybrids. However, I have some precautions and questions.
    Is the technology that reliable? I can't imagine repairs are too simple.
    If you are driving highway, are you using the gas engine 100%, therefor you are just carrying extra electronic weight (400lbs or something) more than if you didn't have the hybrid version of the car?
    Should I be looking at diesles instead?
    I'm wary of cars with over 75k miles.
    Is there a fast pick up in case I need to make an accelerated evasive maneuver?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

if you need fast pickup, then you want a hybrid like the accord, where it's still mated to a good gasoline engine. And yes, on the highway you use the gas engine (pretty much anything over 30mph, or so) so you're just lugging around dead weight.

Hybrids get better mpg in the city -- not on the highway.

Given the cost of purchase, and then maintenance, I don't see them being an effective solution.

3. Improvolone

Improvolone New Member

Where would I look for exceptional highway mileage?

4. xioix

xioix OT Supporter

diesel

the prius still get pretty good gas mileage on highway as well, just not as good as city

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

yes, but the prius is a dog... If you want some decent performance, the prius is not for you.

As for diesel, cost of both fuel and maintenance can be an issue. The few companies that offer diesel passenger cars (such as volkswagon) definitely don't have reputations for reliability.