Do I want 32 bit or 64 bit OS. I'm confused.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Balbino, Jul 13, 2009.

1. Balbino

Balbino New Member

What difference will I see? Im worried that going one way or the other will cause compatability issues with some programs. Will I be able to run newer games with the 64 bit? Sorry if this is a dumb question.

2. Chris

Chris New Member

Which OS are you talking about? XP, Vista, Windows 7? Avoid XP 64 bit, if you really knew you needed XP 64 you wouldn't be asking about it here.

Vista and Windows 7 is a different story. The main benefit of 64 bit for most people is the ability to have more than 4GBs of RAM. If you know you need more than 4GBs of RAM then you will need a 64 bit OS. Most apps have a 32 bit emulation mode which allows them to work of a 64 bit OS, Office and Firefox for example.

Many OEMs are only selling 64 bit versions of Vista on some computers and the general public buying them have no idea either way.

Moral of the story, unless you know you need to run some type of legacy app or hardware you are OK with Vista or windows 7 64 bit. 64 bit is the future anyway.

3. Balbino

Balbino New Member

Thanks for that, I will be leaning towards the 64 Vista then.

4. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

I've been using Windows 7 x64 RC since it came out and I've had 0 problems with the OS itself or driver support... even my Hori Fighting Stick 3 was plug'n'play ready, no drivers needed.

5. modspace

modspace New Member

what's wrong with xp 64bit?

6. Chris

Chris New Member

Mainly lack of drivers and software incompatibilities. Plus its about to be officially 2 generations old.