Do I need to polish?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by tbizzle, Jun 1, 2006.

1. tbizzle

tbizzle you smoke that shit?

I just washed my car and i was about to wax when i realized the roof still looked dirty as hell with what looked to be white spots about the size of a penny all over it. I dryed the roof first with a towel so they weren't water spots, but when i looked very close they seemed to be behind very small cracks in the paint. My camera is broken so I can't take a picture of it, but thats the only way i can describe it. The roof doesn't look like its been washed at all. Tips/suggestions? The car is a 1991 if it matters, but it has been pretty well maintained its entire life.

If i do need to polish, can i get some suggestions? I'm new to this and I'll be doing everything by hand and i don't want to do any damage :hs:

Last edited: Jun 1, 2006
  2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

What kind of car?

Sounds like clearcoat failure to me but without pics, no way to know for sure. You can try a polish but if it is cc failure only a repaint will save it.

3. tbizzle

1991 Dodge Spirit R/T. I'm staying at my friend's parents' house right now doing work for them while he's at school. He's got his cameras with him but should be home in 3-4 weeks. I'll get some pics then if the problem isn't fixed :hs:. The original owner did usually keep the car waxed, but he managed to leave wax in every possible crevice on the car and i've got to take care of that first anyway.

4. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Ewww....Dodge paint.

I would say the most likely culprit is clear coat failure.

5. tbizzle

thats what i was afraid of :hs:

I know a lot of the early-90s chrysler cars usually end up with big bare spots on the hood and roof, but mine doesn't look too bad. The car is pretty rare (1399 made between 91 and 92) but i don't have the money or desire to have it repainted.

6. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

I had a 1992 Plymouth Acclaim back in 98. And it was starting to ahve clear coat failure problems on it as well. COnsdiering those two cars likely came out of the same spray booth in the begining of their lives, id imagine thats the case here too. Saddly, once the rot starts, theres nothing you can do to really stop it.

But, jsut keep and eye on it, and if it starts to get worse, consider having it repainted.

I would however, highly recemend getting soem pics of ths pots, so we can actually tell what the problem is, instead of just guessing.