do i need this for a digi camcorder?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by My Dixie Wrecked, Apr 30, 2002.

1. My Dixie Wrecked

My Dixie Wrecked STFU & get the ball!!! OT Supporter

I recently bought a Sony DCR-TRV140 from Best Buy. They have the 4 yr warranty deal for it for $149. Should I get it? They told me if it breaks or whatever goes wrong, they just take it, give me a voucher and tell me to get a new one. One said that after some cleanings, it pays for itself. But how often does it need cleaning?

2. tekknikal

tekknikal Nothing's ever been better than that

:dunno:
    Cleanings???
    Ive heard that the extra warranty deals are no good, but I cant say for sure. I suggest you read the exact terms of the deal. I recall being told that the deal covers things like accidental damage, when usually they dont. In any case I dont know what cleanings theyre talking about and how any such cleanings could end up costing $150 or more.. but thats just me. Anyhow you must have paid about $500 for that cam, no? I dont think that an extended warranty would be worth ~30% of that.
    If the std warranty were 2 years, then Id just sell the camera after that for the $150 loss and get a new one.
    But then again if you really think you might need the warranty (ie you predict the camera might get damaged or exposed to anything else bad for it), go for it.