Do I need it or what?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by ldaggerl, Oct 14, 2009.

1. ldaggerl

ldaggerl New Member

So I've always liked trucks, I have a 96 ranger thats 4x4 5 speed. I've basiclly replaced the entire drivetrain myself aside from the engine. Tranmission, clutch, transfercase, explorer rear end, ect I've all done myself. Now I don't have the time I once did but I do try to do work on my car and truck. I'm looking at getting a new vehicle in a year or so and don't know if getting a Super Duty with the diesel and 4x4 is a good idea. I mean gas mileage is a consideration but not a huge deal. I don't tow a lot or anything like that but I do live in the north east and do enjoy offroading quite a bit. I've been driving my GTP for a while now and its starting to get old to stick to the roads all the time when I see a trail and wonder where it leads. Any idea's as to maybe an alternative? I was looking at Taco 4 doors but I'd need to find one with a supercharger at least. I don't want a truck that can't fit bigger tires and have enough power to turn them nicely plus I want room......I wish the diesel ranger was in america.

2. IslanderOffRoad

IslanderOffRoad Do you even lift kit? OT Supporter

A big truck like a superduty is only good if your definition of off roading is mudding, or if you need a tow vehicle.

I'd say built the Ranger, or buy a Jeep or Toyota to wheel.

Why do you need a Taco with a supercharger? Most offroading is done slow and the Taco V6 is more than enough power.

3. ldaggerl

ldaggerl New Member

Well the ranger has a locker in the front, LS in the rear, 31" BFG A/T. I'm looking to put a 3" bl on it and 33's. Its a nice truck but lacks a lot of power. I want a supercharger or more power because I love having power. I just don't know if its too over kill. I know its a good bit over kill but am I just being stupid for wanting it and not needing.

4. ldaggerl

ldaggerl New Member

I honestly wish I could get jeep grand cherokee CRD but I live in CT and they don't sell them up here. They come with quadra trac II and everything.... I think it would be perfect for me.

5. IslanderOffRoad

You're wanting and not needing. More power = breakage.

I love the power of my 4.0 for what I do, do I want for more, yes, but I know it would just get me in trouble... on and off road.

What engine is in your Ranger?

6. ldaggerl

ldaggerl New Member

Mine is a 3.0L and I drive a modified 3.8L GTP. So I have a 3.8L supercharged engine. Its got the basic 3.4" pulley set up with a built trans with 3.29's so I'm not sure I can go back to driving something super slow......

As for mor power = breakage thats why I thought about diesel lol.

7. IslanderOffRoad

I've driven 3.8 S/C's and never found them to feel particularly fast.

I had a Chevy S10 with a 4.3 and it felt alot faster than the 3.8 GTP I test drove. Probably had more to do with gearing and weight.

What gears are in your Ranger?

8. ldaggerl

ldaggerl New Member

I have 4.10's and 31's. My friend has a 4.3L 5 speed S-10 Blazer and not a chance his truck is faster than my car or even feel that way. I think the when you drove the GTP it was either stock or close to it. They have no top end so at the top of 2nd it starts to trail off but a few mods to breath better and it opens up.

9. IslanderOffRoad

Of course it was stock.... it was at a dealer.

Enjoy the fast car and get a slower moving truck for off roading.

10. Tre003

Tre003 OT Supporter

I just sold my modded GTP for an FJ Cruiser, which has the same engine as the Tacoma, and is probably a heavier truck. I'm not really missing the power of the GTP at all. The FJ really has some balls when you get into it, so I doubt you'll be unhappy with a tacoma.

11. ldaggerl

ldaggerl New Member

Yeah, I just couldn't stand driving another truck like my ranger that just doesn't have the power. I love my ranger, reason why its got a whole new drive train but fuck if it isn't slow. This will be the last of the 3.0L and when this goes a 5.0L will be dropped in its place, use an automatic trans and try to keep the stock tranfercase.

12. mspainter

mspainter New Member

No shit, I'm also from CT!

Anyway, a superduty and a 4dr Taco are HUGE differences haha. It really depends on what you want. A superduty will tow and drive in mud, but will not be good on trails. Plus its way to big. If you want a wheeling rig, get a Jeep Cherokee or a Toyota Tacoma. I love my Cherokee but am sort of interested in a taco. It is the only Toyota I will drive lol.

EDIT: I read more and see you are really big on power. Perhaps a Cherokee with a 4.7L stroker to back it up? They are on the market for around 3-4K. If you post how much money you are wanting to spend we can make this easier lol.

13. ldaggerl

ldaggerl New Member

Money I could spend up to say $25,000 out the door we'll say. As far a stroker I don't want to buy something to have to pull it apart like that. I don't mind doing a lift kit or something like that but at this point in time I don't want to have pull apart an engine. I'd rather buy something with power from the factory.

14. Nosolace001

Nosolace001 New Member

In my opinion you should should separate you desires for speed and off-road capability. They dont really go together...

Think of some capable off-road trucks or suvs
    Jeep Cherokee
    Jeep Wrangler
    Toyota Tacoma
    Toyota 4 Runner
    Toyota FJ

None of these are very fast... there is a reason for that.

15. Nosolace001

Nosolace001 New Member

With $25k I would buy a Cherokee in good shape for ~$5k, and then i would buy an early 2000's Era muscle car, mustang, camaro, corvette for around $10-12k, and then i would put a little bit of money into each. Make the cherokee reliable, and get some nice tires for the car, and then you have the best of both worlds

16. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

Personally, I'd get the Dixon Brothers Racing Kit for your ranger and drop a 302 in it. Then you can go fast on and off road...though a prerunner is kind of worthless in the north east I'd imagine.

17. ldaggerl

ldaggerl New Member

Well the ranger is kind of a back burner truck. I still have it and always will. I plan on just keeping the 3.0L in it for now and dropping in a 302 at some po int but thats years off until the 3.0L dies again. I have a good 100,000 before that happens lol. I plan to do a custom suspension still keeping the TTB front end.

I don't want a slow truck we'll put it like that. I know I'm not going to get a truck that can pull down 12's but I don't want the thing to feel like its having a hard time pulling itself around. It should feel spirited when i drive it.

18. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

I wasn't aware the ford was still using TTB in '96.

19. ldaggerl

ldaggerl New Member

Yup used until 97, then in 98 they moved a different styler.