Do I need an in-between product?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by dbman96, May 16, 2006.

1. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

Purely for personal use at this point...

I've got two black cars, one of which has sustained some swirl marks and water spot damage and the other is in pretty good shape. I've had a PC for some time but only used it with the included foam pad, which appears to be pretty much a finishing pad from what I can tell.

I just ordered an assortment of the curved-edge 7.5" pads with a 6" backing plate. I've got the 3M swirl remover for dark cars which I'm hoping will be enough to get through the damage on the one car, and I also ordered the Jeff's Werkstatt prime/jett pair. But I'm not sure if I need a polish to run after the swirl remover (or if there's something else I should use instead) and before the Prime. Am I missing something here?

2. exceldetail

exceldetail New Member

The 3M SMR is a very mild polish. It does yield good results though with proper pad selection.....

3. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Examine your paint in the full sun or harsh lighting after polishing. If you see minimal to no marring, Prime is fine to use and will remove light marring.

4. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

I don't have any horrifying defects in my paint, so I expect I'll be working with the orange light cutting pad... possibly try the yellow if there are any really tough spots (got one nasty bird poop etch on the hood I'm thinking about).

:coold:

I would apply Prime with a relatively fine finishing pad, right?

Thanks for the guidance, I appreciate it. This forum is the greatest.

5. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

You can apply Prime with a polishing pad or a finishing pad, just be sure to use a small amount per panel after the pad is primed and work it until it practically disappears, usually 2-3 moderate speed passes with the PC on 5.

6. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

outstanding. I can't wait until all this stuff shows up!