A&P Do I need a dslr???

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by negative zero, Mar 2, 2006.

1. negative zero

negative zero New Member

I just sold my sony dsc-s85 that I had for ~4 years. It was nothing special compared to todays standards but I paid about $700 for it new.

The reason I sold it is to get something else. I'd like to get into photography a bit more just as a hobby, nothing professional. My original plan was to spend less than 500 on a new camera. I've never considered a dslr but I see that some of the dslr's can be had for not much more.

What is the main advantages of them? How steep is the learning curve? Keep in mind on my old sony I almost never took it out of auto mode, just never had the time.

BTW I'm not a canon sackrider but before ever thinking of the dslr I thought about one of the canon sd series (450, 550, etc.) or the S2 IS. Would it be better just ot get somehting like that and hold out on the dslr?

thanks for any input.

2. Yardsale

Yardsale OT Supporter

glass is where most of your money will be spent at, but you can be gradual with it. i'd say go for it. i don't know anyone that's ever regretted buying a dslr and having it be too much for them, unless they're old and dumb.

3. If you act fast you can purchase my sony 828 before I put it up on ebay! :run:

:bigthumb: :x:

4. Changed

Changed Guest

-You are going to want to spend more than $500 if you want to get a quality camera. Not only will the camera (body) cost $500+, lens' will double that cost quickly.

-Secondly, today's DSLR camera's have auto focus modes which do all the work for you. You dont really have to worry about learning curve, unless you want to get into manual focus modes (which arent that hard to learn the basics if you read a book or two)

-The main advantage of a DSLR over a film camera: convenience.
    Once you pay the price of the camera and it's acessories (a high price) you basically are taking pictures for free. With film, you can enter the "mix" for a cheaper staring price, but the fees will add up once you start getting film developed.

5. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

:rly:

I've been thinking about buying a dslr. Can you tell me more about these auto focus modes please?

6. Changed

Changed Guest

7. Derrict

Derrict No, I am not Amish OT Supporter

8. Changed

Changed Guest

okay.

9. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

:nono:

10. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

What mode do I put my camera in to get manual focus?

What menu is that in?

11. Changed

Changed Guest

why do you guys have to be such dicks :dunno:

Of all the photography forums I've been on, this is easily the worst. Probably because its an off-shoot of OT, but you can never rely on serious answers or any kind of constructive criticism.

12. negative zero

negative zero New Member

Thanks for all of the info so far.

BTW I meant what is the main advantage of buying a dslr over a "regular" digital camera? IOW comparing the Canon Rebel XT to the Canon S2 IS?
    Obviously the Rebel takes better pictures, I guess but waht are the main reasons dslr's are better? Is it because you can put different lenses on them?

BTW whatever I get (especially if it's a dslr) will be all I buy for a while. Since it's over my original budget I will have to make do with just the camera and maybe a memory card for a while.
    I'm sureI'll have a million questions so hopefully you all will be patient with me.
    thanks alot

13. negative zero

negative zero New Member

Oh no. I really am wanting some serious opinions from people.

14. Derrict

You can get entry level used DSLRs for $500-600 for just the body, but expect to spend just as much, if not more, for lenses. For example, you can get a used 300D for $500. $70 for a new 50mm f/1.8 ($50-60 used), $330 for a new Tamron 28-75 ($260-300 used). These would be your basic all-purpose lense. If you're just starting, I'd suggest with the prime lense and learning how to walk around rather than relying on zoom. Once you learn the camera, spend the $ for a decent low-end lense like the Tamron. Eventually you'll want a telephoto lense which will set you back about $500-700 for something like a Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 or $1000+ for the Canon 70-200 f/2.8 (non IS). Eventually you'll find the 28mm on a 1.6x body not being wide enough so you spend another $400-500 on a Tokina 12-24mm. Somewhere in between, you'll probably want to spend at least $150 on flash, $200-300 on a tripod that can hold the heavier weight of an SLR, a decent bag to carry all your near gear, etc etc.

Next thing you know, you just spent 1 month's of salary on buying glass and accessories. :eek3: It's a nice hobby but you'll have to put in some investment to get the most out of it. The nice thing is once you have made the investment, the glass and accessories hold their value (on good ones) so when you decide to upgrade, you'll still keep ~ 80% of the original value.

15. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

get a d70s kit for around $1000. you'll thank us later.

16. Derrict

www.fredmiranda.com

Don't bother with this forum if you want to get any worthwhile C&C.

17. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

Goddamn, calm the fuck down.

We give serious answers, but we fuck around alot too.

18. Derrict

Advantage? Post processing will allow for better photos since you'll be able to shoot in RAW mode. The depth of field on point and shoot cameras are fairly limited. SLRs allow you more control over how you want your photos to turn out but to take good photos, you have to have some limited photography knowledge plus knowing how to use the options on the camera itself. Point and shoot cameras are, well, point and shoot. An idiot can take a shot with a P&S.

There are numerous drawbacks with SLRs. You can take 100 shots and only have 10 or 20 that come out as usable. You'll find shots not in focus, not properly exposed, depth of field is too great or too little, etc etc. As you become a better photographer, more of your shots will come out better and usable. Another drawback is the size and weight. SLRs aren't exactly something you can stuff in your pocket and carry around at your convenience. There are more but there are numerous sites that can offer more insight. Try http://www.dpreview.com/

19. negative zero

negative zero New Member

Thanks again for all the info.

This dslr stuff is alot to absorb.

Option 1: Keeping in mind I will only be able to spend less than $1000 for a loooong time. Which dslr would you all suggest from Best BUy out of the box? Now I know you all are screaming at your monitors. I am not saying that's where I'm getting it, just using a point of reference.
    Link to BB DSLR's

Option 2: Same question for a "regular" digital camera. If I go this option i can get the camera and a memory stick and maybe something else. There's alot of choices there so I'll just link the canon's.
    Link to BB canon digicams

I know I've said it before but I'm not a die hard canon guy. I've owned a sony and, to be honest, was not greatly impressed. I want somehting good all around. Good indoor night/low-light shots would be a plus.

A video mode is a plus. I forgot to ask, do the dslr's have video mode???

I ride atv/dirtbikes, so I will take it out to the tracks every now and then and get some "action" shots.

Again, thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it.

20. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

Dslr's don't shoot video.

21. Derrict

If I had to choose from the BB choices, I'd go with the Canon 350D. The D50 isn't bad but I just prefer the Canon lenses. You can probably find a used 350D on fredmiranda.com for ~ $600-650 for the body only. Add in $250-300 for a used Tamron 28-75 and you're getting close to your budget. You'll probably spend at least $50 for a 1GB compact flash. If you're only looking to spend $1000 for now, the SLR route probably isn't the best.

I owned a handful of Sony P&S cameras but now in hindsight, none of them were really all that great. Out of the Canon's in the link, I'd go with the S2 IS or the SD30.

DSLRs don't have video mode since there is a mirror blocking the image sensor. Upon actuation, the mirror flips up to allow the light to reach the image sensor. This is when the viewfinder blacks out since the mirror is no longer reflecting the image to it.

22. hash browns

hash browns lolcathlon champion OT Supporter

want to be like tomash ?

23. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

[​IMG]

24. redna

redna New Member

A DSLR is never a NEED. only a want.

25. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

never a need? that's a first