A&P Do I need a CPL?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by xconverge, Dec 27, 2008.

1. xconverge

xconverge OT Supporter

I was thinking about getting one but they are pricey and I don't know when I would need one. Cars, water, sky? I was thinking about getting a decent B+W 77mm one and getting stepdown rings so I can use it on everything besides my Tokina 12-24. Opinions? Advice?

2. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

You should have one, but for that lens you will need the right-sized filter and you will have to buy the thin filter as well. Buy correctly the first time on this.

3. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

If you don't know when you would need one then you don't need one. Once you learn what the CP will do, then consider buying one.

4. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

5. ravenspy57

ravenspy57 New Member

You have to be careful with a CPL on a Super-Wide like the 12-24. The sky is unevenly polarized, so with a polarizer, you're going to get huge swaths of sky being darker than other parts.

6. xconverge

xconverge OT Supporter

I know about banding, I know about thickness, I know what they do. What do you guys use them for and primarily on what lens?

7. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

Since we're on the topic, I was at a wedding today (family) and shooting some pics (staying out of the way of photog) and of course they put the cake in front of a picture window and that was giving glare. Would a CPL have made this shot better or not? Shots of cake cutting are annoying with that uneven patch of glare behind the couple. I was gonna see if it could be processed out as well.