do i need a capacitor?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mikeveli, Apr 23, 2002.

1. Mikeveli

Mikeveli The Don

whenever the bass hits my headlights and gauges flash...this is the setup i have right now...

clarion proaudio drx8575z
    infinity kappa 6.5's and 6x9's
    powered by a kenwood kac-848
    2 12" Polk DB's (Dynamic Balance)
    powered by a kenwood kac-729 (600 Watts)

with this setup...my lights flash...in a couple weeks i will be adding about 3-5 neons in my car...my question is...do i need a capacitor? if so, will a 1/2 farad be good enough??

2. BumpnFD

BumpnFD Why don’t you do a triple fucking axel over to the

id get at least 1farad if they actually flash and dont dim. maybe extra battery or new alternator.

3. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

caps are jsut a band aid spend the money on a good battery or a have yoru alt rewound in the end it will give a better result

4. Mikeveli

Mikeveli The Don

oops..i meant they dim when i say flash...

5. BumpnFD

BumpnFD Why don’t you do a triple fucking axel over to the

id say get a 1farad cap and see if it helps, if not, get a new alternator. no need for ext, batter cause then you need to spend mone on isolator and shit, and it wont be any better than a new altornator.

6. caddymac

caddymac Guest

Caps are the devil and due to ESR actually hurt your system.

7. terminator1010

terminator1010 Eld

Hey caddymac I see you've read Richard Clark's post about Caps and ESR. Capacitors are useless for car audio applications. Invest in a new battery. Upgrade your power and ground wires, not just to the stereo stuff but to the engine block too. If that doesn't work you might need a new alternator. Get an Optima yellow top.

8. black jesus

black jesus OT Supporter

I would just run another OPTIMA battery. If you get anything else you are wasting your time. Wire it in parallel with fuses at both batteries. Be sure and run atleast 2 AWG to the first battery. I ran 00 to the battery and the distribution block. You need to get alot of current there quick, you have to go high gauge.

9. caddymac

caddymac Guest

Nope, haven't read that but I've heard a lot about his little report. I actually came up with the same conclusion awhile ago while researching car audio.

10. 04

04 Guest

Yeah, listen to the other guys, the caps are for the most part worthless. Save your money up and get another battery, or even better your alternator rewound or a new alternator. Another possibility is that you are not using sufficient power/ground wire. What gauge are you using? And is your amplifier a class AB or class D? And is it rated at 600w rms or peak? If its 600w peak, you have some serious electrical problems :ugh:

11. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

i was runninga 2000+ watt sytem off 8 gauge with no fuse for a while while i was waithing on my 1/0 to cme in i coulnt belive the differnce it was night and day so make sure you wire is up to par then look to add a battery and your alt rewound

12. Mikeveli

Mikeveli The Don

what kind of battery should i get...a deep cycle? i only know of two kinds optima red and yellow...red i know is cheaper...will the red be good enough??

13. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

yellow will be better suited for your application
    if you are going to spend the money on an optima get teh yellow top

14. caddymac

caddymac Guest

I say red, unless you plan on a lot of bumping with the car off. Otherwise the red would be fine and you could spend the rest of the money on an upgraded alt.

15. Mikeveli

Mikeveli The Don

yea, i rarely ever bump my system when my car is off...if i do get a optima red, and i DO NOT upgrade the alternator will i still be fine, or do i have to upgrade the alternator because of the new battery...and will JUST the new battery stop the dimming of the lights when the bass hits?

oh yea, anyone know any good websites i can get the optima red for a good price?? i can't find any on ebay

16. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

if you add it as a second battery then yes you will need to upgrade teh alt if you are adding it as a singelb battery you will praoby still find out you need to upgared the alt if you listen to bass heavy music it can drain a red top fast wiht a weak alt red top

17. caddymac

caddymac Guest

Interstate makes the batteries for Optima and they have their own versions that are cheaper. Give them a try also.

18. Hpower281

Hpower281 Guest

Actually guys, the caps aren't useless. A cap is actually a mini battery.

The general rule of thumb is for every 500 watts, you should have a 1 farad cap. For everyone 1000 watts, you should have a battery. These guys are telling you to go with a battery which is correct....just wanted to clarify about the caps.

19. caddymac

caddymac Guest

I still wouldn't get a cap. A cap belongs in the ass of any punk who jacks my shit, not in my circuit.

20. 04

04 Guest

Shit dude, they arent that bad. I mean I too would not pay for one, but if I was given one for free I would probably use it in my system.

21. Hpower281

Hpower281 Guest

Well, they also serve other purposes. Ever pick up a yellow top? or any battery for that matter? Heavy huh? When weight is an issue....caps are a good alternative.