Do I need 4gb or 2gb of ram for a new computer?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Soren, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Soren

Soren OT Supporter

I'm getting E7200 and Radeon 4850 to play some newish games. Do I need 4gb or 2gb of ram? I'm on a budget and I can get 2gb for $25 at 4-4-4-15 settings and 4gb at $60 at 5-5-5-18 settings. I probably will not be hardcore OCing my computer and will probably stick with the default heatsink.

2. Bruticus

Bruticus half dead OT Supporter

You don't NEED either. I would recommend getting either 2GB or 3GB, you won't be able to use 4GB unless you are using a 64 bit OS which I wouldn't recommend.

Games should play fine with that setup with 2GB ram and that graphics card.

3. Soren

Soren OT Supporter

Are you sure? One of the games I want to play is called Warhammer Online and many have said it's quite a memory hog. Think 100+ characters on screen at once.

So I wouldn't even be able to take advantage of all 4gb of memory if I don't have a 64bit OS? :eek4:

If that's the case then I suppose I'll go with 2gb and upgrade to another 1gb stick if I need to... but then I'll lose dual channel capability (and the OCing capabilities that go along with it), no?

4. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

Going with 4 doesn't hurt you, but you won't be able to access it all with a 32-bit os. You'll end up with 3-3.5Gb available. It probably is going to cost you the same to buy 3Gb as 4.
    You can always go with Vista 64-bit. A few people here swear by it, though I'm still a skeptic myself. There still is hardware without 64-bit drivers though support is getting better supposedly.

5. Bruticus

Bruticus half dead OT Supporter

Not sure about Warhammer but I used to play WoW and I'm not it was ever a huge ram hog, though when 100+ people were in an area they took a while to load and you got some noticeable slow down. I don't remember whether that was a ram, a graphics card, server or something else problem. I don't play MMOs anymore so I can't really help.

I have a Q6600 with an 320MB 8800GTS and 2GB ram (with no over-clocking on anything) and it performs well on anything I've ever played on it, except Crysis (had to 800x600 that on medium details). The only time ram is an issue for me is when I'm running 2-3 VMWare OSs.

Oh and I'm on Vista 32bit.

6. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

Hey man, when I first built my PC last year, it had the same specs as you (same CPU, GPU and amount of memory). I upgraded my GPU through eVGA's Step Up program to 8800GTS 512, added another 2 gigs of RAM and installed 64-bit Windows & Linux. I believe it was worth it, but it wasn't at the time that I built my PC.

I do notice a difference, for the better.. If you are buying a new PC, there is nothing wrong with a 64-bit OS and 4GB of RAM. 64-bit WILL replace 32 bit completely one day, just like 32 replaced 16.

7. Soren

Soren OT Supporter

Thanks guys. So if I decide to go with 64bit Vista I might have some compatibility issues?

Also, of the three components, which would probably be the bottleneck? I was thinking of getting an E8400 but it's 50% more than the 7200 but I heard the 7200 can OC to a similar level as the 8400.

8. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

GPU is the biggest bottleneck now, for gaming anyway. Q6600 will eat most things you throw at it, but you may find the 320MB RAM on your GPU a little hard to deal with when playing games with high-res textures.
    I`d stick with quad core for future-proofing.

9. HY

HY New Member

get the 4 gig, even if you cant address it all it will still be about the same price as 3 gigs, and will also be dual channel. in the future you might want to use a 64 bit system anyway

10. Cthalupa

Cthalupa New Member

Get 64bit. The NO DRIVERS shit is a bunch of blown smoke, and has been for over a year now. The only issues that still exist are shit like "If you have an nvidia 8x000 graphics card, and audigy sound card, and a logitech webcam, any sound not running when you plug in the webcam will fail to play until you unplug it"

11. Soren

Soren OT Supporter

The Radeon has 512mb of ram. I thought it would be plenty :dunno:

Only 768mb GFX card I see are all over $300+.

I can get the Radeon for almost half that...

12. Soren

Soren OT Supporter

Alright, if I get extra ram should I get:

OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 PC2-6400 Vista Performance Platinum Dual Channel Kit ($65)
    "At 800MHz, the 4GB Platinum Edition runs at tightened 5-4-4 latency timings and offers unprecedented stability on the latest AMD and Intel platforms."

or

OCZ Gold XTC PC2-6400 4GB 2X2GB DDR2-800 CL5-5-5-15 DDR2 240PIN Dual Channel Memory Kit ($50)

BTW, if I choose to just get 2gb now but want to upgrade later to 4gb, will the fact that I get 2 more 1gb sticks diminish my OCing performance since it will no longer be dual channeled ram?

13. skinjob

skinjob Active Member

If warhammer isn't a 64-bit app, then it will still be limited to the 2GB usermode address space limit regardless of whether you run it in 32-bit or 64-bit windows. However, if the 32-bit application is designed to take advantage of the /3GB switch, it will get 4GB of address space in 64-bit windows instead of the 3GB it gets in 32-bit windows.

14. Soren

Soren OT Supporter

How do I determine if the game is 64 bit or not? All it says is for Vista it requires 2gb of ram... for WinXP it requires 1gb.

15. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

:doh: not sure what i was reading... yeah, the card you chose will be perfect. Go for 4gigs with that card and you will blow (mostly) every game away, broseph

16. Soren

Soren OT Supporter

Alright, thanks!

Do you know if either of those rams I listed above are good? One has a better timing apparently but it's $15 more.

Is it worth it?

17. ady

ady New Member

It's not 64-bit. It will not need (or use) 4GB of memory. It is multi-threaded though.

18. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

Is it true though that each 32-bit app now gets its own 4gb of address space in a 64-bit os? So, while each app is limited to 4gb, total you can access more even if all of your apps are 32-bit?

19. Soren

Soren OT Supporter

So 2gb is sufficient? Or will 3gb be better? If 3gb I might as well get 4gb for dual channel capabilities...

20. Cthalupa

Cthalupa New Member

Not necessarily

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Address_Windowing_Extensions

21. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada