SRS Do I have social phobia? Should I be on meds?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Anna28471, Dec 15, 2006.

1. Anna28471

Anna28471 New Member

So I attended our annual Holiday Office Party tonight for work. I thought I'd go to show I care and make a good impression. I can honestly say, I tried my best. I was friendly and talked to my co-workers but then there were these awkward moments of silence in between conversations where I didn't know what to do. I kinda frooze up like a deer in the headlights. Or I would try to say something but it wouldn't come out right thus, me looking like a jackass. I don't mean to overdramatize this, it only happened maybe 2 or 3 times. I mean, it's happened to me before at work. I'll walk in all prepared, see them and my mind goes blank. And then I leave thinking what a dipshit I am and obsess over my faults wondering how badly I have messed things up for myself...

I try and I try to shake this, I don't know if it's anxiety or social phobia or what but I don't like it. Are there any vitamins or anything I can do to help ease this?

I want so badly to be myself but I am afraid they won't accept me. I am an honest person and some of the people I work with are shady to say the least... I am afraid I'm going to get a bit too blunt. Why can't I just be myself? There's nothing wrong with me. I mean, when I was younger I went to catholic school. I was the poor girl who didn't wear the lastest outfit from the gap and as a result, I was called the "freak" or "it." I couldn't even find a seat on the bus because some girl warned everyone that I was... I don't even know what? Why does this haunt me? In my sub-concious somewhere I must still see myself as a freak... not deserving of love or friends.. :wtc:

2. WMB

WMB New Member

When I used to have to give presentations I would take inderol which is a beta blocker for high blood pressure. In small doses it inhibits the physical feelings of nervousness. Works great for special situations where you might be nervous.

3. The Big Eye

The Big Eye New Member

jesus christ everything you said about yourself matches me to the detail.

I know this doesn't help you much but i have the same problem and i wish i knew how to fix it. If i knew i would tell you :(

4. i killed tupac

i killed tupac New Member

well, when i developed anxiety, it was sudden and paralyzing, like in that instance, i would have ran out of the room unable to breathe. i needed meds for that. counseling has helped alot. talk to a doctor?

5. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

What are the side effects, if any (possible or ones you've experienced)?

6. dave steel

dave steel My Kung Fu is the best.

7. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

in for this crew :hs:

8. NotSoSmart

NotSoSmart New Member

Don't worry about filling in the conversation, there are always going to be lull spots. And don't worry about trying to make a good impression. Be yourself, and everything will be fine. Sounds like you're just over-analyzing the situation... Good Luck :)