SRS Do i have Panic Disorder or anxiety?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TND, Mar 27, 2005.

1. TND

TND New Member

this might be a little long read but whoever has some info please help me out, its really affecting my lifestyle

maybe someone can help me out here and tell me is i suffer from some sort of anxiety

this all started 6-7 months ago

i was driving somewhere and all of a sudden i felt sweaty and started having palpitations, i got really scared, felt like i was about to have a heart attack or die

anyways i decided on going to the hospital immediately and on my way i started feeling much better so i didnt go that day

but chest tightness and discomfort started on persistent basis and i decided to get myself checked out because i was getting scared and it was a feeling i couldnt get rid of

so i got a chest x ray, cat scan with IV bloold tests done and everything was normal

than one night a couple of months ago i layed down to sleep and i felt dizzy and started getting sweaty and nervous as if i am about to die or something, i got really nervous , woke up parents, my face was very pale, my whole body was shaking, went to the ER, they ran tests and said everything was good , possibility is that i was just nervous

i spoke with my uncle who is a psychiatrist and said the chest discomdort could be due to ACID and i started taking some pepto and zantac and over some time the discomfort, got better a little

the thing is im not someone that is depressed all the time nor can i recall anything around that time that was depressing, i was actually quite normal

ever since that day, i constantly get these tightnesses in my chest, sometimes in the middle sometimes towards the left (thats why i think its the heart) and its really getting annoying and i just dont feel like i used to

i have been to my personal doc, he also did tests again recently, blood, urine, chest x ray, EKG and said everything was normal, the reason i feel this way could by due to anxiety

i havent been taking zantac or anything for a month or 2 now because i really dont have any stomach pain or anything else that might show stomach acid

but my main concern is, could the way i feel be due to anxiety

often in class i sometimes feel sweaty or feel dizzy or light headed

just last night i felt the same way like i was about to die or pass out and got dizzy and i quickly got up and turned on all the lights, started walking around and drank some water and fell asleep watching tv

now im asking because i have heard a lot of things about anxiety medications and my uncle said if all physical tests show normal than most prob it is anxiety

if anyone can help me out, i would appreicate it

2. BradUF

BradUF Guest

Well sometimes I get stressed out and then I get dizzy and get headaches.

3. TND

TND New Member

no this is more than stress

im just constantly thinking about these things

its really is affecting me mentally

4. BradUF

BradUF Guest

Yeah I know same here. Ex. Say someone you are close you had something happen in their life. You will sit there and play out every possible thing that could happen as a result from this over and over until you get headaches or dizzy. Correct?

5. Cougar2k

Cougar2k New Member

I was diagnosed with this, and your symptoms sound very close to what i have experienced. It started for me after christmas this year, and it's under pretty good control now with the help of my doctor. I take 50mg of zoloft a day which finally started to help after about a month on it. I also have clonzepam/klonopin that i can take when i'm having an attack, and always prevents them from getting out of control.

6. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Time to get yourself informed.

http://www.algy.com/anxiety/
    http://www.adaa.org/
    http://www.anxietynetwork.com/
    http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/anxiety.html
    http://www.anxietypanic.com/

It seems 'brain' related. If you got a panic attack 'for no obvious reason' and your body starts reacting on that panic, then you should have your brain checked ' since other test revealed normal values in your blood'

Time to ask yourself some questions.

What are you afraid of? What do you think caused this attack? Do you are your family have a past in this?

It's important you check all factors, and find out as soon as possible what might be going wrong with you. Panic attacks can be very frightening while in reality actually nothing much is going on. It might be related to something else too , so be reasonably careful with your diagnosis but do inform your docter and uncle about what is going on thru you.

Get yourself checked this year on a quarter year basis or more or any time you feel like you should be checked. Gather information and check if you see if symptoms are related towards anything that you have, and try to look for the most closest resemble and ask the opinion of your docter/psychiatrist. And don't let anyone turn you down.

7. it sounds like you have an uderlying cause of anxiety. You must be like me- i get panic attacks sometime- i remember some time i get them for no reason and i find myself worried about things i shouldn't be worried about. Try to find the underlying condition that might make you feel this way when you get out in certain postitions or see certain things that might cause your brain to trigger your anxiety. You can take medicine for anxiety too. and it's no biggie. alot of people get stressed out at some point in there life and need a little boost.

8. Nikolette

Nikolette New Member

:sad2: OMG, i get all of these symptoms too. Although I havent had them in a while, this past summer I would get them often and my symptoms were: heart palpitations like my heart will beat out of my chest, tightness in my chest, heavyness in my chest, hard time breathing like I can't catch my breath, dizzyness and lightheaded feelings (although not always).

At first I thought it was due to humidity outside, then I thought I was having allergies. I eventually got scared I may have a heart condition and got an EKG and all was normal so my doctor told me I have panic attacks. But Im not panicking!! Weird huh?

Looking back I remember events that would relate to a panic but I wouldnt panic over them and then several days or weeks later the attacks occured. So if doc is right, maybe it's a panic attack due to underlying problems I didn't deal with that overtime resulted in an attack? ?

Anyway, you're not alone!

9. hi chief

hi chief Guest

It can be an anxiety attack, I've had those a long time. After I started taking medication and seeing a therapist monthly, I've made ALOT of progress and RARELY have panic attacks anymore. The first step is to see a therapist or psychiatrist or even a general doctor.

Don't worry, it can be fixed :)

10. punkerjim

punkerjim Guest

i think it is a problem when you start getting more anxiety because of your original anxiety.

i've screwed myself up with drugs and have panic attacks every now and then but i can just sit calmly and tell myself that everything will be fine and it usually ends

11. It is both based on what I've read.