SRS Do i have ADD? I cant seem to concentrate on what i mean to say...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by pharmokan, Apr 8, 2008.

1. pharmokan

pharmokan OT Supporter

theres this thing that has been bothering me for a long time now. as i am growing up and trying to figure out this world of ours, i notice humans are social animals. we interact with each other because we like to, and it is necessary in terms of wealth. the thing that has been bothering me is this...

i am bilingual. my native language is not english. it's russian. but my brain thinks in the english language. when i speak in russian, i dont think at all what im trying to say. my mind is already made up and the words come out almost involuntarily. when i speak english, i concentrate either too hard, or dont pay attention enough to what i say, and often stumble over words, and just have a brain freeze, completely forgetting a word i was supposed to say, to convey meaning and put emphasis on something. because of this i believe i have ADD, because often every little thing distracts me when words are coming out of my mouth. this doesnt happen when i speak short sentences, but i am figuring out non-descriptive speech is not at all the person i really am. i usually have no problems with the english language but i feel like because it is my second language i have to concentrate more on saying the right things and is it because i have ADD that i have a hard time trying to say what i am thinking?

2. JustJeff

JustJeff www.youtube.com/thisisjustjeff

You don't have ADD.

You're thinking TOO much.

3. Spiritus

Spiritus Active Member

The answer is easy.

Russian is instinctive in you, thus many times faster, you have no problem with that.

However, English was learned later, and you were not born with it, and you did not learn it growing up.

The main problem here is what happens when you stumble on a word. You immediately go to that intellect and start using it. Thinking is very slow. An example used earlier would be what would happen if we had to think to get our hand off of a stove. We would be in the hospital.

English is your second language, it will not be as fluent as the first, however you have an excuse, I would just start speaking in Russian to describe what you are thinking about in English to make people laugh and forget about it. Act like you are having difficulty and flip out in Russian, that would make me laugh.

P.S. Ritalin, Strattera, etc, are probably just going to make it a whole lot worse. There is a natural stride to language, and those drugs will make it harder, they will certainly not help in any case.

P.S.S. Everyone has ADD since the invention of gaming, television and the Internet.

4. pharmokan

pharmokan OT Supporter

thanks, so basically theres no way around it or anything :hs:

the problem with my russian is since i dont speak it as often as english i am forgetting how to say some words, so now im in between a rock and a hard place :hs: cant seem to be fluent in either language :(

5. civicmon

civicmon got all my game from the streets of california.

Spiritus is pretty much right.

My friend was born in Brazil and lived up here for the last ~15 years and can't speak any portuguese anymore. Like, he can recognize some of it but can't utter a sentence anymore.

6. Spiritus

Spiritus Active Member

There's always a way.

I would recommend going to an excellent book store (which sells new books), going to the science section and browsing through mental elasticity. In fact, there is probably a book out there just for you.

Essentially you will either have to choose to drop the Russian (because your brain is either way) or start to exersize that again. In fact, that will fortify your linguistic skills, cause deviation and new spindle growth in the linguistic part of your brain, and perhaps improve your ability to pick up English words faster.

Sometimes, the answer is in your own post, someone just needs to view from a different angle to pose a possible solution.

All the best of luck.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2008
  7. digimon001

digimon001 New Member

I can understand how you feel since i'm almost the same. I was born in Thailand and moved to the US when i was about 9. I grew up learning Thai but never got far enough to get to learn it all and then I came to the US and start english fresh and never had the chance to learn the basic. So my Thai isn't very good and my english's grammar are horrible.
    In my head i'm always thinking in thai and have to translate it into english all in my head. it was how i learn english and it just stuck with me, it was really difficult in HS and college was even worst. I really wish i could go back to elementry and jr high and relearn english again.