SRS Do I have a problem with Cannabis?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by krazywulph, Jul 4, 2005.

1. krazywulph

krazywulph Guest

I'm 18 and I just got out of High School. I've been smoking pot for my entire High School career and have been caught by my parents twice. They took it well. Lately I find myself salivating over weed. Just looking at the crystally buds makes me almost want to eat it. I smoke every day, and it's come to a point where I need more than the average person (probably double) to get comfortably high. I'm going to Boston University next year, and I know pretty much everyone there smokes pot. I'd say I'm very lucky because I don't really have an addictiver personally, so I've never experiemented with any other drug besides alcohol. I don't plan on it either. I'm worried that I'm becoming reliant on weed. It's become a regular thing at my friends' house, go over, talk a little, smoke a few bowls, listen to music/watch a movie/play a video game, then order dominos or go out for dunkin dougnuts or something like that. It isn't just one friend either, it's like all of them, and they arent pushing me to smoke, it's just the way I feel. I've decided that I really enjoy the action of smoking more than being high. I can't precisely lay a finger on it, but I know I love to flick a lighter and take a huge breath of pot-smoke. I now realize that what I've written is very fragmented, so I hope you don't have any trouble understanding. Please just leave your opinion, if anything. Thanks so much for reading, and I don't mean for this to sound like a regular, old, depressing pot story. I'm not trying to arouse emotion, I'm just telling my tale.

2. Demon Of Dreams

Demon Of Dreams Feed me with lies and hate, and from that, I will

my ass you don't have an addictive personality.
    if you're lusting over it, and require more than average to get an effect, I would have to say you might have a problem, considering you do it on a daily basis. Just because you've never experimented with anything else doesn't mean you don't have one.

as far as relying on weed, if you feel you cannot function properly in lifes daily activities without it being a part of your life, chances are, you might need some help

3. krazywulph

krazywulph Guest

I can deal without it unless it's in front of me. If it is, I need to smoke it. I sometimes have the urge to smoke up, but it can be controlled.

4. Demon Of Dreams

Demon Of Dreams Feed me with lies and hate, and from that, I will

5. Team503

Team503 Guest

When it goes from "want" to "need', I suspect there's a problem. While everyone is different, and only you know if you really have a problem, you're describing lots of symptoms.

You can't go a day without it.
    You require a significantly larger than average dose.
    You don't have any friends that you don't get high with.

You say you don't think you have an addictive personality. I would ask you to look a little closer at yourself (looking at ourselves in the mirror is never easy). The way you phrased what you said; "I can deal without it" implies that going without is a negative thing, that you'd rather be high, and you feel as if you're "suffering through" sobriety when you're not.

Challenge yourself. Go a month without it. Is it a struggle? I can tell you this much - if you don't have a problem, it won't be any effort at all to go without it for a month.

6. krazywulph

krazywulph Guest

Good observation. I think what I'll do is go a week without it. Starting today. After the week is over, I'll know whether or not I can go longer and act accordingly (keep it up or not).

7. Obnoxious

Obnoxious OG as fuck.

Not preaching but you say you don't have an addictive personality and such, but things really change once out of high school. I smoked my fair share of weed in high school and didn't try anything else... didn't smoke every day though. Still didn't try white until AFTER a year of college. It can happen, and stay away from it, I knew I liked it after the first time and never touched it again. Be strong and if you truly feel you have a problem, get help or try and help yourself, you sound like a levelheaded person.

Oh, and don't refrain from posting on here if it gets worse... these guys have been there.

8. metoots13

metoots13 New Member

Have you made it the past 3 days? Just checking!

Everyone had some good points to make to you, you could also check out NA.org or possibly marijuana anonymous and look at some of the literature.

9. Team503

Team503 Guest

Good luck, I hope you are!

10. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

Only you can tell for sure, but it sounds to me like you've got a little bit of a drug problem. Consider this - you don't wander into road to recovery on accident. Best of luck to you though. Try reading the "My Story" thread for hearing what its like for other addicts.

I also echo that its different out of high school.

11. anomaly

anomaly If you weren't around for the original HA.net spli

Follow this guys example for teh win! Just smoke pot daily, and have kids, and have a rockin time.

Back to reality....
    Only you can decide if you have a problem. If it is interfering, if you feel the NEED to get fucked up, etc. GENERALLY people who aren't addicted would never feel the NEED to get high or really have a strong urge. You've said both.

12. metoots13

metoots13 New Member

by the way - this is "Road to Recovery", not "we like how we are and we'll stay high"