SRS Do I go back to school?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by kdrweez, Apr 27, 2010.

1. kdrweez

kdrweez New Member

I'm 25, I graduated a little over a year ago with a management degree from St John Fisher (a small but nicely ranked school). I did 2 years in RIT's IT program as well, and I have a very strong technical background. Still, a good job has been tough to come by. And the couple jobs I've landed so far really don't motivate me at all. My best friend is a pretty successful DJ, and he definitely enjoys his work; I'm happy for him and being able to help him out, and this also gives me a lot of inspiration.

I've been thinking about going back for something more specific, and more technical oriented. Based on my personal interests and skills, I could see doing web development, MIS, or pharm. I didn't graduate with the best GPA (2.8), so I've heard going for my master's would be really difficult.

:wtc: part: I feel like I'm going nowhere. I have super high standards for myself too. I want to REALLY enjoy my career, and I want the funds to support my hobbies without worry. All of my friends have been trying to help me get into something a little more appropriate (not pushing cell phones), but it's just not happening. Hundreds of applications, several reviews of my resume/cover letter, etc, and no results. I'd love to start something of my own (being my own boss really inspires me), but I don't have the capital to. I've been on the verge of giving up (not really, I don't believe in quitting), and I pretty much lost it a few days ago about all of this.

What do I do? My current job is taking a toll on me; I've lost lots of my determination, as well as friends, because of my resultant irritability. Am I too old for another couple years of undergrad? Can one usually transfer in credits and continue his education albeit in pursuit of another degree?

2. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Need more data. What job are you working? How specifically is it taking a toll on you....because they make you work and shit?

What the fuck does your DJ friend have to do with you? Are you seriously thinking about entering the turntable management profession? Or is that turntable engineer? I get them confused.

Look 25 and just out of college is supposed to be a transition time where you don't really know your way yet. How about this? Pour yourself into your job. WOrk your ass of and start learning more and more about it. Gaining higher and higher levels of responsibility will help you more than another degree.....unless you want to move into a serious technical profession....but you got a mgmt degree for a reason. What were those reasons? Couldn't hang with the rigor of the really tech degrees? That's not likely to change this soon after college.

Also, there's no age req for a bachelors degree. At 36 I went back to Uni to get a 2nd bachelors degree and it was awesome.

3. kdrweez

kdrweez New Member

That's what I was looking for :p

I point out my friend because his enjoyment of his work inspires me a lot; I want to achieve the same, and I know it's possible.

Currently I work 2 jobs...I do B2B sales for a printing/promotional product company, and I push cell phones. Both companies have high prices (I've considered starting my own venture and competing with the printing one), and really flakey structures (I put quote requests in for printing shit and months later I get a finished quote back).

4. Ann

Ann Sono stupenda!!! Vedi la mia roast beef?

You are not too old to go back to school. With that said, you need to just logically look at what the end results will be. Can you really find a better job with more schooling, etc? If you can answer yes, then I see no reason to not go for it.

Hold off on the master's. Right now that can over-qualify you. Wait a few years until you get into the job you are looking for. Could even be that they will help pay for the tuition.

5. Coottie

If you want to open a competing business then go for it. That IMO would offer you much greater satisfaction, independence and rewards than going back to school for another degree. However, I know what it's like to have that other degree gnawing at you....that's why I went back.

One thing really surprised me by going back. Many employers looked down on it. They were like, "You took 4 years off work and went back to school?" uh :ugh: I was all, "FUCK YA!!! and it was AWESOME!":hsd:

Funny it was one of the best decisions I've ever made and I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. However a lot of people have said that while they would like to do the same, they're worried about being perceived as lazy. I couldn't care less...unless it's my boss. lol...then he already should know how lazy I am.

6. kdrweez

kdrweez New Member

Yea if I go back it's mainly to improve my technical skills, and make use of the economic slump (instead of working mediocre jobs that aren't getting me very far).

I've also been trying to keep in touch with the local AF Officer recruiter. An adventurous government job has always interested me, and the AF route has been suggested by a couple enlisted friends of mine. So tough to get a hold of the recruiters for the officer programs though :/

7. Coottie

Well that's a different take. If a military career sounds fun and/or interesting, I would seriously recommend pursuing it. As you get older, you'll begin to realize that certain careers are closed off to you. One of the first times this happens is as you approach your 40s and you become aged barred from the military. It kind of sucks....especially if the military careers are appealing.

Looking back, I wish I had pursued a career in the AF because even if you're just flying cargo planes, you're still flying!!! Also, the benefits after 20 years of service will last a lifetime and can provide a bridge should you want to start your own business. One of my friends said that without his military retirement, he never would have had the guts to pursue his own business....having free healthcare and a monthly check helped him tremendously.