GUN Do guns depreciate in value??

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Guz200sx, Feb 12, 2006.

1. Guz200sx

Guz200sx The man who does more than he is paid for will soo

If you buy a $400 dollar gun, how much would it depreciate in value? Gun would be in excellent condition and well kept for.

Overall, do guns lose their value after a long time?

2. Dsking85

Dsking85 New Member

depends what kind of gun it is. i'd say most do, but not too much. some go way up.

3. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

unless limited edition or its rare in some way (finish, etc) pretty much any new gun isnt going to gain value

4. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

unless there banned for whatever reasons, I got a couple guns that were dirt cheap in the 80's and worth alot more now :o

5. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

:cool:

I have a pre-war model 70 thats worth probably 6-650ish, maybe a little more with the sight I put on it.

6. Accord

Accord New Member

CMP M1 Garands are almost guaranteed to increase in value as CMP comes closer to running out, when they do eventually run out (i've heard they only have enough left for another 3 years, 4 at most) second hand prices will be through the roof.

7. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

They hold value better than pc hardware but I wouldn't look at them as an investment. Figure you lose 20% or more when you buy a new gun to start with. If its kept in really good condition it probably won't depreciate much. Until the next model of the series comes out with a rail, or a new anodizing, or a better finish, or an improved trigger, or new grip, etc. Cheaper guns just seem to have less resale value too. $500 for a used $700 sig seems like an awesome deal, $325 for a $400 gun I might just buy new to get a warranty and stuff. Plus if you buy online you've blown $50 on shipping and transfer that you'll never get back. Some older glocks you can still get 300-350 out of, some s&w autos you might be lucky to get 250 out of. I think higher quality and more popular guns would be the better choice if you cared about resale value.

8. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

I wouldn't look for them as an investment (i.e. try to make money off buying them unless you plan to get an FFL and open up a store) but I wouldn't worry about buying one and in a year or so if you think you're tired/bored with it lose a lot selling it.

You'll alway make more in a person to person sale also instead of trying to sell it back to a gun store or a pawn shop.

9. Guz200sx

Guz200sx The man who does more than he is paid for will soo

I'm getting a Baby Desert Eagle for about $400 (not including anything else like shipping/transfer) and the guy i'm buying it from bought it a yr ago at $500 so I'm wondering if I keep it for a yr and in good condition, Will I be able to get back what I spent or will I lose about fifty to hundred dollars???

10. Want2race

Want2race Fearless

\\Probably more bc MR is making new designs pretty frequently.. and its not a highly desireable gun like a XD/Glock..

11. Gaunt

Gaunt blood for the blood god OT Supporter

collectable war rifles gain value over time

12. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

XD's and Glocks dont lose much :hs:

13. Dsking85

Dsking85 New Member

i don't think a baby eagle will depreciate exponentially forever. like i don't think you can say it was worth 100 more a year ago, so it'll be worth 100 less a year from now. i don't think it'll be worth much less than 400 if you keep it in good condition.

14. Goat

Goat That crack is really moreish

Guns are pretty much like anything else, unless they're rare or collectible, they will depreciate, though slower than most things since they don't really wear out.

15. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

If you buy a brand new gun yeah it will depreciate kinda quickly maybe not a huge amount but it will lose some value, after all most people would rather spend a little extra and get brand new as opposed to saving $50 and getting used no? Used will hold its value a bit better. but then I dont really care I dont sell guns unless there a POS.

16. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

the only way you will "make" money buying guns is if you are buying pre-ban guns that they don't make anymore

17. Goat

Goat That crack is really moreish

I've seen some guys making killings buying new Winchester M70 Supergrades and selling them on Gunbroker in the past few weeks.

18. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

Compared to most things we buy guns do keep their values pretty good. If you buy second hand and keep them in good shape getting your money back out of them later or only loosing a little is easy. Myself, I buy them to keep forever, no reason to ever sell anything, unless it wasn't reliable.

19. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

I'd sell guns that I wouldn't be using or shooting a lot.

20. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

Depends on what gun it is.

21. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

22. millero

millero Aluminum Member

i think most guns have a "new" price and a "used" price. i think most guns start off at the new price and drop to the used price and pretty much stay right around in that area of value. some people may sell them cheaper or higher than what their worth, though. of course, this doesnt apply to collectibles.

23. Fishbone Walker

Fishbone Walker Fella could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas wi

NFA machine guns consistently appreciate at a phenomenal rate. There's a catch, though: a stroke of the pen could make them illegal and then you are SOL.