Do good RCA's really make a difference?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by FyreDaug, Apr 28, 2006.

1. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

When I bought this car it had all the wiring there, but I upgraded the power/ground to 4gauge. However, the RCA's that were there look kinda shitty, infact its black/red not white/red so they seem older too. They are kinda skinny. Is it worth it to upgrade to a higher quality RCA cable?

Keeping in mind it doesnt have any problems right now, no buzzing or bad sounds.

2. dew

dew Banned

its only so much better it can be..

3. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

If you're not having any problems with your RCAs why bother changing them? There is a huge debate if expensive cables will give you a difference in sound. I like using better cables because it will cut down the chance of noise in my car, plus they look nice. If I'm going to spend thousands on my system, why not spend a couple more bucks on some decent rcas.

4. Ronin

Ronin Guest

decent rcas for me mean longer life span etc and in a car they help cut down on noise etc as mentioned above

5. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

Just to re-iterate what others have said, my feelings are that the reasons to buy a high-quality cable are the following:
    1) reduce outside noise in your system
    2) reliability, less chance of cable going bad over time
    3) physically better built providing more secure connections to jacks and will take more abuse (this goes along with #2)
    4) looks, if you're showing off your cables at all, it's nice to have something that doesn't look ratty.

Oh, and I'll throw in a shameless plug for my cables if you decide you'd like to improve yours: http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=2393479

And Ronin can comment if he likes what I made for him. His are just one example of many I can make.

6. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

Responses were what I expected, however, I did notice that the wire going to myt amp, the left one has slightly come out of its insulation and I CAN see bare wire.... I think its bad enough to replace em, Ill just do it tomorrow anyways

7. Ronin

Ronin Guest

word

replace that shit

8. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

But on a side note instead of making a new topic here, my old sub box was 1.4cuft and I just built a new one at almost 3 for my single 12" Type R and it sounds much better all over the spectrum, just some freq's arent quite as strong.

Both boxes were ported, and I was running 500w to it in that dinky box :eek3:

9. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

:drool: i'm not going to need your classy rcas... balance inputs man, i'll find a use for your cables eventually.

10. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

i would agree that really shitty cables do have an effect. I have DBLink Elite cables in my truck (gold plate, twisted, blahblahblah) and have a slight rumble in my subs and very very very slight alt whine. This is coming from a Kenwood Excelon HU to PPI amp. Oh and a POS Verge sub amp from Circuit City (I got it to make do. I haven't replaced it yet) In my firebird, i have the rockford 6 ch RCA's and don't have any problems out of them at all. Same radio, Viper 5 ch amp. no probs. Def worth the extra money if you just go from the el-cheapos to an inexpensive name brand.

11. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

I dont have any whines or hums from these POS's... still havent replaced em yet.

12. veonake

haha, balanced is definitely the way to go if possible. I can make you some XLR cables if you'd like.

13. ngsm13

ngsm13 New Member

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

;)...

14. veonake

It is "broke":
    ;)...

15. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

oh and since my razr now does work on my computer ill snap some pics of how thin these rcas were and how it came out of insulation

16. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

[​IMG]

there finally

17. ngsm13

ngsm13 New Member

Werd.

Well if you haven't already replaced them... check out

www.knukonceptz.com

Great price... great stuff...