Do DJ's wear earplugs?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by JazzHound, Aug 22, 2002.

1. JazzHound

JazzHound Guest

I imagine a 2 hour set in a club ambiance is enough to kill some hearing. I just bought the MDR 700DJ headpones and although they do a decent job of blockign out external sound, its really not that revolutionary. I can listen to it on full blast cuz the bass is so deep it doesn't really hurt your ears but prolonged listening especially a DJ can't be good.. so do they?

2. LIQUID

LIQUID #HarambeBless

it depends.......ive seen some djs that do...and others that dont.

its true that any noise that is at a high db level will eventually do some damage

i know there are some type of ear plugs that soften the noise...they basically decrease the db level to a lower level...as in turns of effecting your mixing..that is something that you are going to have to experiment with

>>ive got Pioneer SEDJ5000s :o

3. mrdeucie

mrdeucie Member

the girl in your avatar has a nice firm tummy:)

4. jedimasterELMO

jedimasterELMO Beer, boards, and Android

:werd:

full pic pls:)

5. JazzHound

JazzHound Guest

Wise words. I'd be honestly surprised if DJ's don't go deaf from all their performance, plus the club goers as well. Alcohol raises the blood pressure, in turn seemingly surpresses sound so all those drunks/clubbers are doing serious damage every weekend. Imagine exposure like htat for 5 years or so!

I'll either start listening on a more acceptable volume or just take up meditating (total silence)

6. carlosrg

carlosrg Guest

long time ago almost 12 years now when I used to DJ I setup the speakers so they were away from. I had one ear planted head phones and I used the other ear to listen to the music and the beat.

Honestly I do think I am bit deaf now. But its from jamming in my car than it was from parties.

7. JazzHound

JazzHound Guest

Sure setting up speakers to project away from yourself may have minimized the effect, but the reverb is still there. I don't know much about audio equipment but I'd bet there are higher end speakers that do a fantastic job of resonating towards a certain and precise angle with effective sheilding from the DJ. There's only so much man can defy science though.

carlosrg have you gotten a hearing test? I am curious how the procedure is and wanna get one. maybe that'll give me a wake up call because I'm finding myself listening to louder and louder but I can't be sure whether it's the recording (I do mp3 > MD ) or my hearing. Not all my mp3s are calibrated (as in the same amplitude).

8. LIQUID

LIQUID #HarambeBless

its a yummy tummy :yum:

9. LIQUID

LIQUID #HarambeBless

here's the website where i found the pic

http://www.theboywonder.com/

right clicking is disabled :( you'll have to go in there and look at it

its under his portfolio/clubshots :)

10. jedimasterELMO

jedimasterELMO Beer, boards, and Android

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: