Do certs matter as a student?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by SPACECATAZ, Mar 7, 2009.

1. SPACECATAZ

SPACECATAZ New Member

Sup,

I've got two years left in my undergraduate for CS and I was wondering how well do certs matter in this day and age. Particularly I'm talking about the Sun Java Certs right now. I've touched C++ and I seem to be making my way towards Java next because that's where my next class is going. Should that matter at this point and time to me? I already have an internship lined up for the summer, so I'm not worried about job security or anything like that.

Thanks.

2. ChosenGSR

ChosenGSR Mama always said you'd be the chosen one

I am no recruiter so I can't talk about whether you'll score a job faster or not. I will however tell you that to me, it does demonstrate that at the very least you crammed for a while and maybe something has stuck with you :) I've been a developer for 6 years now, and never really been asked to get certified. Frankly, 99% of developers around me are not certified. That said I am personally working towards MCTS certifications at this moment. The only reason I am doing that is because I feel that someone in my position should have them :dunno:

That said I don't think you want to worry about certs before you get out of school. Make sure you do well in school and it will score you a job. I do recommend however that when you do score a full time job, dedicate 5hrs a week of outside of work time to study. You'll be amazed how quickly you can move up the ranks if you work hard.

3. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

You're going to be graduating soon and competing with others for a job which usually means you have very little practical experience dealing with real world issues....your internship helps. Anything you can do to differentiate yourself from the competition is a good thing so yes, certs can help.

However, don't get arrogant and think that just because you have a cert, you know your shit.

4. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

As a new graduate, a cert won't hurt you. But you should be attacking problem domains and talking about it on the internet, for fun while you are a student, and these interests as well as the connections you will make, will lead you to your first job. You should have people trying to hire you while in school if you do this right.

Find a problem you care about, and hack at it better than anyone else has. Talk about what you're doing publicly, and get help and learn from others. People respond well to those hungry to learn that will do things themselves. Use the resources you have available to you: talk to professors and they can help you find and solve interesting problems.

Doing this will take you places a cert won't. Its not that they aren't important: if you're going to be doing Java, sure get a cert. Why not? But more importantly: find a problem Java is well suited to that you can be PASSIONATE about, and then work on that obsessively, become a bad ass, talk about it in public, and network. Jobs will flow your way.

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

^^^ Cliffs: Certs are good, but firsthand experience is better.

6. vipergts24

vipergts24 New Member

No one cares about certs in relation to a BS Computer Science no matter what any of these phonies tell you.

7. samm

samm Next in Line

go to graduate school if you want to learn more.

8. ChosenGSR

:rofl:

9. ChosenGSR

:rofl::rofl:

10. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Most teams assume things like: a new graduate with a CS degree is literally useless for about six months until they learn something. Certs aren't very important but I would be less apt to assume uselessness if someone had one. So they aren't useless. But as I explained, much better to put a few projects you care about under your belt.