GUN Do apartments allow guns?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by IceMurder, Feb 17, 2008.

1. IceMurder

IceMurder Guest

anyone know? i figure they don't because of the safety issue for residents but i don't know how they would regulate it...

2. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

Depends on state laws, but the easy answer is yes, they pretty much have to.
    Check state and local laws though, some states allow apartments to ban weapons.

In MN they cannot, period.

3. IceMurder

IceMurder Guest

where would i check for the law?

4. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

call the local PD :dunno:

5. lt1aggie

lt1aggie what?

Not that I really cared either way, but I read through my lease and it doesn't say anything about them...only that you basically can't walk around the complex with them causing havoc.

6. SNDP

SNDP New Member

If its not in your lease that you cannot, you can.

7. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

Same here. Seems to be standard for the Texas Apartment Association contract that every fucking property uses. Discharging a firearm outside of an emergency situation, on the other hand, pretty much gets you evicted within the minimum five days.

8. lt1aggie

lt1aggie what?

Haha, I've noticed they all seem to use the same one.

9. CKMustangCobra

CKMustangCobra New Member

~Here in FL~

You can have pretty much whatever you want in your APT assuming you are within the guidelines of pets and deposits and such.

This is the tricky part.

Like most APTs, you have to walk outside to your car through a small parking lot. This is considered "common area" and in order to legally carry your firearm back and forth from your car to your APT, you need a CCW permit. Carrying the firearm either in a box or on your person in a common area without a CCW is considered a 3rd deg felony.

Sounds shitty... but that was explained to me in a book written by a lawyer about FLs gun laws.

I would advise anyone to get their CCW if they can.

Just keep in mind it's really totally where you keep the weapon, but how you transport it.

10. lt1aggie

lt1aggie what?

In Texas, there is a clause (I think that's the right word?) somewhere that basically says you don't need a permit if you are directly walking from your place of residence to your car.

11. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

Not necessarily, the common area is also considered part of your curtilage. so if there are no provisions in the contract you are fine (which depending on your state having one might be illegal for them).

also, states like VA define that apt's can't strip you of your 2nd amendment rights, no matter what the wording.

12. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

I don't see how there couldn't be. If you don't have a CCW, and most don't, how do you get your gun from your apartment to anywhere? That sounds like California BS if anything.

13. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

I believe that Texas has a number of "authorized purposes" for transporting handguns that provide immunity from prosecution and effectively allow for concealed carry - basically transporting it to/from a sale or transfer, gun range, hunting, or repair are authorized. Then there's the infamous "traveling" doctrine...