Do any of you smell like ammonia when cutting?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Intellex, Aug 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Intellex

Intellex Dogs love me cause I'm crazy sniffable OT Supporter

I know it's a byproduct of burning Protien instead of carbs for energy, but is it common? Or is it an indication I should increase my carb intake?

:confused:

2. Sgt. Ownage

Sgt. Ownage you gon' be just fiiiine

i actually think i might...during cardio today i smelled funny

3. Intellex

It's happening to me pretty bad.

I'm not sure if I should add more carbs, or if it's ok :sad2:

4. Intellex

It's a lack of Nitrogen essentially, is there a suppliment like NOX that will force the body to burn fat/whatever instead of protien?

5. Sgt. Ownage

so i should supplement with an NO product then...

6. Intellex

:dunno:

7. G-n-P

G-n-P New Member

isn't that part of the process when your body goes into ketosis?

I haven't done anything low carb in years, as you may notice by my el gordo-ness.

8. Intellex

This whole subject has been the topic of controversy for such a long time. The first school of thought (also the oldest) states that too much protein will cause problems with your liver, blah, blah, blah. These studies were done using sedentary individuals as test subject. They don't take into account anyone that does any type of weight training or has an above sedentary lifestyle.

As you probably already know; the body uses carbohydrates as it main source of fuel, once they are depleted it will tap into your fat stores before it would start to Catabolize itself by using your hard earned muscle. This is the basis for the Second School of thought which programs like the Atkins diet and The Zone have dealt with. Using protein and fats as your sources of energy because of the fact that they both sustain long term energy and keep your insulin levels on a constant even keel. The new studies have shown that spikes in insulin levels that occur (when you eat things such as simple carbohydrates) contribute to fat stores. so, when you are depleting carbs and using protein as your main source of energy your body will more readily use the fat stores as energy.

As a competitive body builder for many years, in order to get ready for a show (where having the least amount of bodyfat was the goal) the second way of eating was my lifestyle for 12-16 weeks. Getting rid of the most amount of bodyfat while keeping most of your hard earned muscle was (is)done by increasing protein and decreasing carbs (and fats). This method has worked for years and I don't know many athletes that would disagree.

I think it's important to include complex carbs in your diet, because you need them for normal brain function-period. But increasing your protein is a helpful way of stripping some of your unwanted weight. It's also important to drink lots of water for so many reasons!

Bottom line: I don't believe that smelling the amonia smell means your body is being damaged. I believe that what you are doing is perfectly fine. But then again I'm NOT a doctor and I don't know everything. If you are really concerned, you can get at the drug store KETOSIS strips, they are with the diabetic supplies. When you dip these in your urine you can see if your body is in a state of KETOSIS. This is when your body has a build up of extracellular fluids (fats)from low carbohydrate levels.It cannot metabolize them which leads to KETOSIS.

Hope this helps, maybe even a little.

9. Phineas Q Stork

Phineas Q Stork Active Member

How low carb are you going?

10. Intellex

Very good thread. Don't know how I missed it for so long.

Xena covered this pretty well, though ammonia is a toxin and will affect performance. An ammonia smell is often associated with ketosis but I have this occasionally and I do not eat a high-protein diet. Could be from muscle catabolization, especially if you are doing something where you are burning a lot of stored fat for fuel because some amount of muscle catabolization is almost always associated (incidently, studies show that pyruvate helps with this). If this is occuring when you exercise on an empty stomach, it would be my guess as the scenario--which would be something that you probably don't have to worry much about, but taking pyruvate might help.

It could also be caused by eating too much protein before you workout. More than around 20 grams anytime close to workout can fill the blood with too many amino acids. Excess amino acids are converted to water, carbon dioxide, and ammmonia. Ammonia is toxic to the body and will cause premature fatigue.

The protein post exercise is something that I would definitely disagree with. For optimal recovery, your glycogen stores need quick replenishment. Studies show that a 4:1 carbRazzrotein ratio taken within one hour post exercise will maximize this. If you take creatine, this is the best time to take it also. Wait at least 30 minutes after this to consume a "normal" meal. And that could be high in protein.

11. Intellex

I'm not measuring, but it's pretty low carb\low cal\High protien

12. Sgt. Ownage

who said this

13. Intellex

Some random "Fitness Advisor"

14. Intellex

Bueller?

15. Sonic

Sonic Live every day to the fullest, for yesterday is go

I smell like vinegar sometimes.:hs:

16. sweetcheeks

sweetcheeks Patron Saint of Quality Footwear

I have noticed this too. On a carb-restricted diet, I've noticed that my piss stinks like windex. I'm curious if this is harmful, or if its just an indication that you're in ketosis of some sort. I have noticed that this smell goes away, or is less pronounced once I up the carbs a bit

17. KenKaniff

KenKaniff Guest

hmm weird. I've been hitting 50 grams of carbs max per day, for the past 2 months(with weekly refeeds of course), and I have'nt experienced this :dunno:

18. Mass

Mass Active Member

back in the day, when I lost all my weight, I use to absolutely reak of ammonia when Id get home from the gym.

19. vintage82

vintage82 we fuck you

I poured sweat during cardio this morning - it was disgusting. It stank like ammonia, though. Good thing all the old people working out in there have lost their sense of smell. :ugh:

20. Intellex

Did you loose muscle mass too?

21. Mass

Mass Active Member

well, im sure I did, but I wasnt even into lifting weights at the time, so I didnt really care.

22. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

Protein rich foods and powders contain a lot of choline. Choline is also created when proteins are used. Excess choline is eliminated from your body and produces a strong ammonia smell. You can smell it in urine and sweat. It can be measured in urine. Some people have a low number of acetylcholine receptors which causes their body to not be able to metabolise choline. 180mg of chlorophyll daily helped to reduce choline levels in urine.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.