Do any of you have permanent injuries that hinder your progress?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by TQ, Sep 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TQ

TQ OT Supporter

I have a heirneated disc in my L4-L5 vertebrae

Because of that I didn't lift ANYthing (hell, it was hard enough tying my shoes :hs: ) for like 8-10 monthes.

At the beginning of the summer I started lifting again after putting on like 30lbs.

Since then I've dropped about 30 and have maintained the same weight for the last couple monthes (mainly because of poor dieting/alcohol---I'm still a fattie :o )

Anyways, I don't know if I'm just having a bad week but I've been weak as hell in every workout this week and to top it off I "turned" funny at some point this morning and my back has been sore ever since even though I deadlifted 215 3x last week without a problem. :mad:

it just bums me the fuck out. I've put in a lot of hard work over the last few monthes and I do something retarded like reach to grab something off of the floor a little too fast and next thing I know I feel like I just deadlifted a mountain :wtc:

I guess this is more of a drunken rant than anything.....sometimes it's just hard to stay motivated when you feel like no matter how strong you can get, little things can still hurt you :hs: :dunno:

2. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

Herinated Discs arent permanet

3. TQ

TQ OT Supporter

The surgery is very risky

and the only alternative is to stay in shape and strengthen your core :hsugh:

Anyways my PT told me I would most likely have "bad" days for the rest of my life :wtc:

4. LancerV

Lumbar Microendoscopic Discectomy Surgery ftw

5. LancerV

And if you can still do any type of normal lifting I doubt it is herniated

6. TQ

TQ OT Supporter

:ugh:

I went through 2 monthes of physical therapy to build enough strength to lift weights.

And no, I'm not going to take the risk of making it worse by having surgery.

My Dad went through back surgery for a ruptured disc and after helping him through that I definately don't wanna go through that route.

7. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Guest

Well I have this knee injury. Osteochondritis is what it's called. It will be with me all my life. It's not so bad anymore after 2 surgery's but I can still feel it being a little weaker. I also get soreness alot. I should be fine until I hit middle age. Then I will probally have to get more surgery. Right now it's not really affecting my lifts. Running is alright too but afterwards it get's pretty sore. My knee will never be good as my other one. It kinda bums me out but I won't let it stop me. I think you have it worse than me at the moment. But later on in life you will probally get rid of that back problem.

8. TQ

TQ OT Supporter

Thats what I'm talking about.

My back problem affects my squats and deads and thats why even though my 3rm for bench is probably around 260-270ish (I put up 255 6weeks ago no problems 3 reps and have been gaining strength ever since) my squat and dead are both around or below 200lbs :mad:

I'm sure you knee injury affects your squats significantly :hs:

I'm just finding it harder and harder to be motivated :dunno:

Call me weakminded I guess :greddy:

9. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Guest

Ouch. That really must be hard when you can bench that much but your Dl and Squats suck. To be honest on Squats it doesn't affect it at all. Since on squats your recruiting your hips to help you bring up the weight I don't have a problem. The thing is on 1 legged squats I had to relearn how to use hip control to help me squat. I finally learned how to do it and I can squat Ok now with 1 leg. It's still hard but I'm keeping at it. However I sometimes put a little more weight to my good side on 2 legged squats. I try to keep it balanced but sometimes I catch myself using my good leg more. I really have to make sure I distribute weight equally.

The only advice I can offer you since I wen't through surgery twice is this- If you feel that surgery is absolutely necessary then do it. I'm not to informed on the type of injury you have, but I do know this. It's alot easier to heal up when your younger than older. If you have this surgery and have a chance at a good recovery then I might consider it. If you can get buy without the surgery then I would just wait until it's absolutely neccessary. There are more important things than lifting. If you don't have any sports or your not a competitive lifter then I would lighten up on the lifting.

10. maks

maks Bah! t(-_-t)

i got a crack that went straight through my heel. Didn't even realize it was cracked till 3 months later when i finally got xrays. It was hurting the whole time...i just didn't realize how bad the injury was. Anyway, I walked slightly irregularly because of it. This has caused serious shin splints and right now my knees are totally screwed.

I don't know when i can do leg work. Its kinda crazy how one injury in the foot affects the rest of the body. No health insurance either...i fucked up. /rant

11. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Guest

Ouch:noes:

Very bad position to be in. I don't know how people without helath insurance get by.

12. TQ

TQ OT Supporter

Well I would be all over surgery if I was still feeling like I did when I first injured myself (I couldn't hardly bend over to take a shit....doing ANYTHING was miserable) but considering the fact that I'm lifting and doing anything at all I don't see surgery as a necessity.

I just wanna deadlift and squat more than I bench :o

13. GilgaMesH

GilgaMesH Active Member

ulcerative colitis.

Kinda hard to get too into lifting knowing that at ANY time I can have a flare-up and regress to nothing in 2 weeks.

14. LancerV

Then its not still herniated, and do birddogs

Last edited: Sep 1, 2006
  15. bigdamray

bigdamray New Member

Get a Reverse Hyper and an Allen Core Wheel and your back problems will be gone!!! Seriously!!!

16. LancerV

Reverse Hypers rule just its hard to find a gym that has one :wtc:

17. disblohs

disblohs I can't shake this little feeling I'll never get a

a reverse hyper helped my back a ton :bigthumb:

18. TQ

TQ OT Supporter

I do birddogs.

And if I'm not still injured why is my back stiff as a board for the first hour I'm awake EVERY morning?

Why do I get random fits of pain from bending over too fast or twisting to fast etc?

Thanks for your advice but I'll trust my doctors and therapist before I'm going to listen to you ;)

19. toeshoes

toeshoes Guest

yes, herniated disks in back and blown knees. the docs won't operate because of my weight/many health problems. my PT also preaches about strenthing the "core". Hope it can work for you.

20. nubian

nubian Active Member

torn pcl ligament on my left leg from a motorcycle accident.
    prevents me from bending my leg all the way.

21. kumar_a

kumar_a Well-Known Member

my left shoulder has been fucked for like 5 years

if i try to shoulder/military press with more than 50lb dumbbells, it feels like something is going to fall off

hurts my bench press a lot also

22. JoeyCrack

JoeyCrack Active Member

I only have about 40% feeling in my right leg below my knee...major balance issue when I'm doing squats...oh well I'm not all about excuses I'll get to respectable #'s one way or another :o

23. Chaotic Reality

Chaotic Reality New Member

i have crohn's disease. i'm finally up to ~160lbs...most I've ever weighed in my life...sucks knowing that I could get sick and it could all go away but whatever, gotta live for the now I guess. In general though the way my stomach feels really determines my progress...some days it bothers me so much that I can hardly eat...sucks when I'm trying to bulk. I do what I can though. :)

24. Vito_Corleone

Vito_Corleone New Member

Slipped disc causing Sciatica.

25. black jesus

black jesus OT Supporter

I fucked my pectoral minor, and it is always sore. I'm starting to wonder if I will ever recover.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.