SRS Do any of you have any luck in community college?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Shampoo, May 18, 2006.

1. Shampoo

Shampoo Rinse & Repost

Seems that everyone is distant from each other. For example, I'd be talking to a classmate, friend, (especially women) and during the middle of the convorsation they would just leave for their car, or say they have to go.

On top of that, the numbers I do get from women are always older than I thought. Last time I called up and she told me she was married, which was awkward.

So I get this cold vibe from everyone that I talk to which makes me hate the college life in general.

Is this normal for community college?

2. maskednegator

maskednegator Kosmonaut, best we've got...

yes. sorry pal. depending on which school you transfer to, you have more of the same to look forward to at a 4 year institution. unless you join some on-campus organizations, be prepared to continue the college experience of a commuter.

3. RedDawg

RedDawg Well-Known Member

most college hookups are not made in the classroom, they're made at the parties on the weekends and since most CCs don't have dorms you're S.O.L.

4. Guz200sx

Guz200sx The man who does more than he is paid for will soo

Yea CC was the same here. Everyone is always in a hurry and running around to either their job, pick up their kid or goin home to sleep. CC is prolly not the best place to meet single women. Too many moms goin for a 2nd degree in something, Lots of dads polishing up on skills and a whole bunch of foreigners.

5. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

That's how community college is...

6. chica&buddies

chica&buddies Active Member

i disagree... i'm friends with people i met in community college when i moved here 4 years ago. i'm still friends with a guy i met in my very first class. :)

just be open and social.

also, i have met the majority of people through classes... whether they be friends or otherwise. :dunno: too each their own, i guess.

7. The Secretary

The Secretary My domestic skills will rock your socks off!

My community college people either work and trying to go to school or are there bc they flunked out of a major university. Community college isnt college its an expensive high school.

8. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

I've been to two btw and they both have been more business-like as in people go there to earn their credits and that's it. They're not interested in having a social life. The ones that do have friends usually are people who know each other from highschool.

The best way to make friends is to get a bunch of people's numbers in the first day of class. Do it before, during and after class. Then you can just call up people to study.

I'd also join some kind of club.

9. 98formyws6

98formyws6 New Member

community college ftl, same goes for the cal states (both commuter schools). i've been going to my cal state since freshmen yr and ironically the only friends i've made there were from outside of school (met them at work etc) and it was a coincidence that they were students at my school

10. cgnmd0819

cgnmd0819 New Member

I have actually been attending 2 community colleges and I'm looking to transfer to a different one.. The first community college I went to after 2 years started to feel like high school again.. The second community college I go to is great, I run into people I know every so often, but not as often as my old community college.. I have actually had an enjoyable time at a community college.. and I have met a lot of people and I have remained good friends with them.. I'm still friends with someone I met in my first class and it just so happens that I ended up dating their cousin! haha.. crazyness..

11. sportsjunkie

sportsjunkie OT Supporter

I always find it weird how people say they don't make friends or aren't more social at a cc.

At my cc, everyone knows everyone (and it's a big school, has three campuses).

I actually met my SO at my cc and he is in the same classes as me :)

I'd say try to get involved in school activities/clubs/sports.
    my cc is pretty prestigious, and I know it's weird saying this, but my cc is probably more social than other 4 year universities, and there are students at 4 yr universities who quit their school, to come to the cc.

so I'm assuming it's probably status of the school, location, and the people :hs:

12. LudaMan

LudaMan Active Member

I've only had moderate luck in cc's too. I met three girls there, but nothing lasted long. You just have to be sociable and friendly. I think the main problem is that everyone has the same idea in their heads that no one is sociable.

13. Banana Mike

Banana Mike Guest

I don't have a single friend at my community college. I live in Ann Arbor and basically just go to my classes apart from everyone I know and then act like a Michigan student the rest of the time. :hs: I guess I'm lucky to live where I do.

Can't wait to transfer :x:

14. ebbnflo

ebbnflo REAL- LAOT Hermit

I agree. While pretty much everything you said is true (from what I can recall from my college days, 13-15 years ago) I also had what I thought was a pretty cool social circle, because I was heavily involved in the music and theater departments. The actors and vocalists especially seemed to hang pretty closely, so there was always a party or some kind of event or gathering going on. A lot of people ended up dating, some of them, even got married eventually. ( I married a guy from the music department, myself :) )

15. civicmon

civicmon got all my game from the streets of california.

I met my best friend at the JC we went too.. lost touch, saw him like my 2nd day at the college I transfered to him.. chatting w/ him on AIM now.

16. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

CCSF is great... A lot of people are busybodies and don't have time to socialize, but I've made a lot of friends in the smokers circle during class breaks or before class... I've quit smoking unless drunk, but I don't imagine it will be too hard to do the same... I'll just stand around and chew gum and strike up conversation. :o

As for girls, I've had a girlfriend my entire 3 years at CC (thank god I started at 16 years old. I do regret not taking a full courseload my first two semesters though :p stupid of me.. will be done soon thankfully) and this summer will be my first time being single during the school year (broke up last week)... I'm looking forward to checking out the dating scene. There's a lot of hot girls there but I know most are older, taken, or are just too weird. It's always the perfect ones who are impossible to approach.