MIL do air force reserves go overseas/to war?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by swenjj, Jan 19, 2006.

1. swenjj

swenjj New Member

My brother is joining the air force reserves at 27, he was told by the recruiter that air force reserves dont go over to war, but i was in the marines and i never trust a recruiter,
    so , my question is, do air force reserves go overseas or stay in their local area?

2. SweetDaddyO

SweetDaddyO we need a montage!!

they certainly can, it just depends if his unit is activated and deployed. any US servicemember, in the right circumstances, *could* go to war.

3. aftershock-

aftershock- rawr -.-

i saw an air national gaurd unit over there. some c-130 squadron. if they could go, why not the reserves?

4. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

think about it

air force
    +
    reserves

:o

5. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

edit: double post

6. swenjj

swenjj New Member

i know, not exactly rough, but my brother is trusting the recruiter:ugh: when he says he wont leave the area,he has a 3 year old kid that i know he wouldnt want to leave,
    i havent seen anything to tell me he couldnt go to iraq or someplace else

7. SweetDaddyO

he HAS to understand that once he signs, he will, to a point, become property of the government and will be subject to their will should they need to send him somewhere or make him do something.

he very much CAN end up doing something he doesn't want, in a place he didn't want to go. he just has to understand that going in.

8. Jeg1983

Jeg1983 OT Supporter

Yes he can and most likely will go somewhere

it depends on your AFSC where you go

9. brownfield

brownfield OT Supporter

I don't know if he should join at all if he is scared of going to combat. Not that the Air Force has it bad over there at all, but the fact that he is scared of leaving his kids shouldn't even be a factor. Let's just take my good friend Frazee. He has 4 kids and a wife he loves. He went to Iraq with me, was a little depressed about being over there but sucked it up and drove on. At the end of the deployment he was asked if he wanted to go on the trail party and help us wash the trucks for a few extra weeks or go home. His wife was in the hospital, but he wouldn't leave his buddys behind and stayed there in Kuwait with us and finished the mission. So the kid thing shouldn't be a factor. I understand no one wants to leave their family behind, but if half the people in my company have kids and have spent anywhere from 1-3 years deployed, I'm sure he can go for 6 months no sweat. BTW I don't mean this as a guilt trip, I'm just saying.

10. SweetDaddyO

and it really does depend on the AFSC as to whether you'll be forward stationed or not. most aren't, obviously, but you'd be surprised sometimes. a good friend of mine is a contracting officer - the very definition of a paper-pusher - and randomly got assigned to work with some Marines in Afghanistan. long story short a mortar exploded right outside where he was working one day, and he quickly changed roles from paper-pusher to first responder, helping patch up wounded Marines. you just never know.

11. ManinCamo

ManinCamo I wear big boy pants.

I got the poop today actually in a breifing.

Short answer, yes, they do deploy

long answer
    Currently there's about 3000 reserve troops deployed, 80% of the AF is in 'deployable' AFSCs (jobs). Many of those are volunteers, and not necessarily forced to, some are 'forced'. Coming in the near future, they expect the operational tempo to go up to about 10,000 reserve/gaurd troops.

12. swenjj

swenjj New Member

he would be in either plumbing or HVAC

13. Jeg1983

Jeg1983 OT Supporter

yes he would go somewhere

also does he realize that for BMT and Tech school he is going to go away for atleast 6 months anyway