dns problem on FreeBSD server

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Chaotic Reality, Dec 19, 2004.

1. Chaotic Reality

Chaotic Reality New Member

I just moved out of state so I have a new isp and new ip and all that fun stuff. I have a web server here at home that I mess around with every once in a while and I'm trying to setup the DNS to work with the new IP. I figured if I just changed the old ip to the new one and restarted BIND it would start to work but I guess not.

I have my LAN NAT'd through a BEFSR41 linksys router.

This is where I think I'm running into problems as I'm kinda confused with the setup.

When I setup the network in the apartment it wouldn't allow my router to grab an IP from the ISP so I called up and they said that they had to allow me to grab one. Well they allowed it and now it holds a private IP address 192.168.xx.xx - now at my previous place/isp it allowed me to grab an ip without a problem, but it was a public ip address - if i look at the status part of my router it had the private ip as the internet ip address, the subnet mask, and the dns servers; however, i also have a public ip address. 69.xxx.xxx.xxx - i edited my DNS files to include the public IP address, and I updated my nameserver through my domain registrar to update to the new ip address - outside my network it appears to have updated, but the nslookup times out from my computers on the LAN. all neccesary ports are forwarded to this computer so i don't think that is an issue. My primary nameservers is a nameserver that's on the server which is pointed to my public ip address, and the other nameserver is one from my other site hosted at a different place.

Anyway, I'll leave it at this and see if anyone can come up with anything. If you need more information let me know, I can post my zone file if need be but I don't see how that could be the issue as I didn't change anything but the ip addresses and the serial number obviously.

Please help :x:

2. Chaotic Reality

Chaotic Reality New Member

well i guess i've found the problem...and kinda thought that this might it but didn't want to accept it :wtc:

Starting nmap 3.77 ( http://www.insecure.org/nmap/ ) at 2004-12-19 03:15 MST
    All 1663 scanned ports on ip-69-xxx-xxx-xxx.cableaz.net (69.xxx.xxx.xxx) are: filtered