DnD First Time DM 4e

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Trippster413, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Trippster413

Trippster413 "This bitch is crazy!"

I started a newbie group of DnD'ers and I am DM'ing the thing. Due to my lack of knowledge of the world of DnD, I am homebrewing a campaign.

Does anyone have any experience with a homebrew and if so, how was it?

Or should I just gtfo?

:bigthumb:

2. 4degrees

4degrees College FB Rankings and Self Pwning Crews

I generally prefer homebrew to modules, but they take a lot more work on the part of the DM, especially if you want to create a campaign world that actually gives the players some flexibility. Otherwise they might feel like they're being steamrolled by your plot.

If you have the time and dedication required to make a detailed world with an interesting story, it's awesome.

3. Trippster413

That's cool and kind of what I was thinking. I started a story ahwile back that fits all of this perfectly and really all i need to do is flesh out the towns/encounters. I have about 300 pages of plots, characters, and towns that I have been making over a good year and a half....

This should be good fun I think.

4. 4degrees

Sounds like you're more than prepared. That's a friggin sourcebook of material right there. :)

5. Trippster413

Yeah it's a lot....but kinda of like what you mentioned is what I am afraid of.

I just don't wanna get them stuck rolling down my storyline

6. 4degrees

If you have 300 pages of material on your game world fleshed out, I'm assuming you have a pretty good grasp on what is happening in the various cities and towns in your world, who major NPCs are and what their personalities are like and what the overall plot is of your campaign.

So let's say that your group just finished their first quest. Maybe they saved the local noble lord (LordA) from being assassinated by someone apparently in the employ of a neighboring lord (LordB), who actually happens to be a very close friend of LordA. LordA asks the players to go to LordB's lands to investigate whether or not LordA's would-be assassin was hired by LordB (which seems unlikely given their friendship, but who knows) or by some unknown person (perhaps the main antagonist for your campaign or one of their subordinates).

Instead of taking the investigation job, your players decide to decline LordA's offer, and venture out in a completely opposite direction from what you expected. At this point what happens between LordA & LordB won't be influenced by the characters actions, and may end up being better/worse/the same as if they decided to become involved.

Having moved on to a new part of your world at the end of the adventure, you'll hopefully have one or both of these situations:

A) A decent fleshing out of the area they're going to, the NPCs in the area, and how the overall plot of your campaign world plays into it.

B) A good amount of time to prepare for the next game session (this is assuming that the end of the first story coincided with the the end of your game session).

If either of these are true, you should be able to tie the characters back into the overall plot of your story without too much feeling of railroading them into a constrained plotline, plus you'll get the benefit of fleshing out another part of your game world a little more, which opens up more sideplots and tie-ins.

Let me know if my rambling made no sense or if you have further questions. :)