.dmg files - quick question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by YourMomOnRyeBun, Jun 28, 2008.

1. YourMomOnRyeBun

YourMomOnRyeBun New Member

Alright...you guys have just about convinced me to get a Mac. Headed to the store in a few hours.

I have a question for you guys that will sound basic to most of you. I have some .dmg files, which from my understanding are similar to .iso files in th PC world. I know how to work with those. My question is, can I burn a .dmg file onto a DVD on my PC and then install it on the Mac? Or do I need to transfer the .dmg file to the Mac and burn to DVD from there?

New to the Mac world...so your help is appreciated.

What program would you suggest I use on the Mac to do this? I currently use Nero on my PC for iso files.

2. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

yes you can burn the dmg as an image onto a cd/dvd from a pc... i use Nero myself

or you can just double click on the dmg on a mac and install whatever from the actual image.

basic burning program you'll use on a mac is Toast

3. YourMomOnRyeBun

YourMomOnRyeBun New Member

Thanks!

Ironic that Toast is one of the .dmg files I have. I didn't realize that I could just double click on it...that will make it easy.

Off to the Apple store... :wiggle:

4. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

Yes. UltraISO is the only one I know of off had that supports Mac format and DMG burning.
    Great program too. I've never tried the Mac side of it though

The best program on the Mac that I know of for burning is Toast. However check out versiontracker.com you might be able to find something that's freeware that might work just as well.
    You can also use DiskUtility to burn as well. Something else I have yet to try.

5. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

get used to .dmg's. almost every program you download for a mac will come in .dmg. I'm not talking about pirated stuff either, i mean like every app chances are come in .dmg format.

6. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom