A&P DLSR CREW: Looking for a lense for a euro trip this summer

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by pelf, Apr 22, 2006.

1. pelf

pelf The Juice Was Worth The Squeeze

I currently have a Nikon d70 with the 18-70mm kit lense.

Im going to be doing a trip to spain this summer and will be doing a lot of photography and am looking for opinions on what lense to use. Most of the photography will probably be buildings, landscapes, some people, and night shots.

Going to be traveling around for probably 2 weeks.

Do you think I should take anything else?

I am just planning on taking the camera, kit lense, another lense, charger, 2 batteries, 1gb CF and a tripod.

Some people I talked to said to get a circular polarizer filter for my lanscape shots. People also suggested to get UV filters for the lenses I take to protect them?

Any other suggestions? Im guessing I should probably take more memory. Only other option would be having stores burn my pics onto CD's or something.

2. Bdog

Bdog ...but do I really care?

Nikon or Sigma (It works) 70-200mm f2.8

3. natelam

natelam New Member

Honestly, the 18-70 is all you need in terms of lenses. I did a 2 week trip in Eastern Europe and I brought 24-85AFS + D100 for lightweight, had an 80-200D and I took it out maybe 1-2x, wish I left it at home. I would have preferred to have only the 18-70DX. Anything else is extra weight unless you are there to primarily do photography and produce marketable prints, if not just travel light and enjoy your time there. I'd bring a lot more memory or get a Mass Storage Device, in 2 weeks I shot just under 9 gigs at Jpeg F,L. Extra battery unecessary if you will have access to power every night. Tripod a must. You can do a lot with a little if you need to. Circ. Pol. would have been nice to have, but you can make do with out, same with a Grad ND filter.

Photos for reference - these were casual travel pictures so don't judge them as anything but that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Enjoy your time in Europe

Last edited: Apr 22, 2006
  4. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

Few possibilities

1. replace 18-70 with 18-200 VR (less dust, no lens swap, easier to manage)

2. Sigma 70-300 APO DG Macro

3. Tokina 12-24 for landscape

As far as filter goes. If you are gonna get UV filters, get good UV filters. I have 77mm B+W UV on my Sigma 10-20, 70-200 VR. I also have a 77mm B+W CPL. Since most of my WA shooting are done at night, I havn't really used my CPL actually.

I also have the 18-70. It's a great lens for the money, I am very happy with it. I used to put a crappy filter in front of it, but once I compared that with the B+W. I took it off and shoot my 18-70 bare.

How about a SB-600 flash? It will help with your people shots indoor.

5. joy division

joy division New Member

200mm lenses aren't the most fun to walk around with. I spent 3 weeks in europe and never went over 50mm...then again I don't shoot what most people do.

6. Derrict

Derrict No, I am not Amish OT Supporter

Most of what people shoot in Europe will be landscape and architecture so there is no real need for a telephoto lens.

7. joy division

joy division New Member

unless you are nude beach hopping.

8. vizual

vizual → 190½ ЯBI ←

Wide angle helps when you are trying to get the most in your shot in cramped alleys and streets. I had mine on my camera most of the time when I was in Italy

9. pelf

pelf The Juice Was Worth The Squeeze

what lense would you recommend

10. Derrict

Derrict No, I am not Amish OT Supporter

Tokina 12-24!

11. natelam

natelam New Member

If you really feel like you need to spend some money on a lens (which in my opinion you don't considering what you have) - Nikon 12-24DX or 17-35f2.8 AF-S. Two of my favorites, and I've quite a few.

12. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

definitely...this is my favorite lens!

13. vizual

vizual → 190½ ЯBI ←

ya mine was a 12-24, did the job for what I was trying to take pictures of 95% of the time

14. Kinks

Kinks Sup. OT Supporter

18-70 kit lens is a great start. Any other lens choice depends on what photos you like to take - are you a junkie for super wide angles or do you like to have a bit of zoom?

Personally, I bought an 18-200mm VR to replace my 18-70 kit and 70-210 AF lenses. I don't have to change lenses any more, it goes from wide to zoom in the flick of a wrist, the VR is absolute magic (I have taken hand-held shots at 1/6th of a second at 190mm that have been pin sharp!). But then, I have always been one for tele lenses so this choice may not suit you. If you like wide angles then get a lens that goes back to 12mm or even 10mm.

Also, you will need to offload the images somehow. 1GB will net you over 300 photos at maximum size and FINE JPG setting. I'd go to a photo shop and get them to burn it to CD, personally. Easier than carting a laptop around, just make sure the CDs work before you format your CF card.

A multicoated UV filter is also a good investment, I have no qualms about getting a UV filter dirty and scrubbing away at it with a cleaning cloth. I would grimace having to clean the actual lens. I shot my sister's wedding the other week and took the UV filter off, but then I knew I wouldn't be getting the camera dirty :) Don't get a cheap UV filter, it'll cause lens flare. Hoya HMC ones are cheap on ebay compared with retail stores!

Getting a CPL is a good idea for landscapes too. It really makes colours pop in the right situations. Water also looks heaps better if your angles are right.

15. Mr_Penut

Mr_Penut Elitist Member OT Supporter

i've been in europe for over a month, and have at least that left

I use my 17-40 95% of the time

its awsome

16. Mr_Penut

Mr_Penut Elitist Member OT Supporter

i aslo carry a laptop and burn dvds whenever