DLP TVs....

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dirtysouth, Mar 1, 2004.

1. dirtysouth

dirtysouth Guest

What do you guys think of them???

Thinking of buying a new TV within the next 3-4 months, can spend up to $6K.

LCD vs Plasma vs DLP, or save my money??? :sadwavey:

2. JasonD18

JasonD18 New Member

3. dirtysouth

dirtysouth Guest

Yeah, that baby is nice...

BUT, I was looking for something to hang on the wall above our fireplace. Don't even know if that is a good place for a TV (since Plasma needs good ventilation because it generates so much heat), but the way our family room is set up, I really can't put it anywhere else other than the side wall or corner, which will totally screw up the surround sound configuration.

so for me, it's probably either plasma or lcd, but which one is the problem. there are EQUAL pros and cons to each one, I can't decide...I thought OT could help out...!

4. dirtysouth

dirtysouth Guest

where do you work, man?

what are your opinions on Plasma's? Concensus of people I've talked to say they're not worth the price...but I need a true expert's opinion...

How bad is burn-in probability and is the TV life really that short?

5. dirtysouth

dirtysouth Guest

6. mf101

mf101 Guest

It's easy to avoid burn-in and correct it if you catch it soon enough.

Avg life of a plasma is 12-16 years :eek3:

7. Grouch

Grouch Guest

no one should ever waste thier money on a plasma.

We have never had a samsung DLP come back due to quality controll issuses.

plasmas on the other hand come back all the time.

8. dirtysouth

dirtysouth Guest

sounds like luck of the draw on all this new TV technology...

buy service plan then???

9. mf101

mf101 Guest

I looked a couple weeks ago seriously at plasmas and others and it's fucking confusing as hell listening to all the differences of opinion and trying to figure out what TV works best for you and why some are $3000 while others are $10,000.

Just spend time looking at all the different variations then narrow it down to two or three and hopefully do a side by side comparision. Then make your own choice. It's all you can really do with technology like this. Buy what works best for you!

10. Grouch

Grouch Guest

We sell about 3 a week. None have come back due to performance promblems since was have been open.

We have one of the new Pioneer 50 plasmas. Don't remember the model # off my head but it looks like shit for a 10K TV. Using compontent inputs and an HD signle.

There is no way you can side buy side compare any othe the >10K plasmas vs one of the samsung DLPs and say the plasma is better.

11. dirtysouth

dirtysouth Guest

Doesn't burn-in come from having an image displayed statically on the screen for too long? Video games and news/stock tickers are the best examples...

but if you are watching constant moving objects, there should be no burn-in, right?

12. Grouch

Grouch Guest

Tech TV talked about burn in on plasmas.

what ever models they use on Screen Savers are burnt in to all hell from what they say.

13. B17A

B17A Now with more ///M

I have yet to see an issue with the HLNs, but won't deny the HLMs had their share of problems. DLP is by far the way to go in the sub 5k market. There is no way I'd spend any money on the GWIIIs if a DLP was an option.

14. B17A

B17A Now with more ///M

Even some of the lower end plasmas have 'pixel shift' setup to help alleviate the problem.

15. dirtysouth

dirtysouth Guest

you can adjust your screen to accommodate what you're watching, right?

16. dirtysouth

dirtysouth Guest

17. NomaN

NomaN Guest

I was just in the same boat, But I had up to 4,000 to spend. Guess what I chose?

A 46 inch Toshiba. And I could not be happier. I got it for 1400 and it looks better after I had it calibrated than most TV's.

Tell you the truth get a nice Pioneer Elite or Mitsu. Get it calibrated. You will enjoy it more plus you will have more money for other equipment. Such as DVI cables, Reciever, speakers.

18. B17A

B17A Now with more ///M

Yes, you can.

19. mf101

mf101 Guest

My problem is I want the plasma for wall mounting, otherwise I'd just go with a 46" or 51" hitachi projection :hs:

20. NomaN

NomaN Guest

My Toshiba is only 20 inches deep. Some are even thinner.

I know I probably won't change your mind but it only weighs 100 lbs. So I could put it on a shelf if I wanted. But I have it on a wooden stand that holds my reciever,DVD player,VCR,Cable Box.

I would really consider a projection TV.

21. FSTMX5

FSTMX5 New Member

I work for Circuit City

Plasma's are a fucking waste of your money unless money isnt an issue

DLP is pretty pimp...personally I like the 60'' Sony XBR Grand Wega LCD

Wega engine that makes any source almost HD quality

:wackit:

Linky

22. videoholic

videoholic New Member

I've had my DLP since the 56" came out.

Haven't had a single problem with it.

23. kaldurak

kaldurak Gimme some sugar baby.

The plasma's are a waste of money other than an e-penis or status symbol.

The samsung (and sad to say it - RCA) DLP's blow away the plasma's for 1/3 of the cost. so you can't mount it on a wall :rolleyes: I personally feel the DLP's have a vastly superior picture.