A&P Dlink 321 NAS - cheap storage

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Wobistdu, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822155009&Tpk=dlink%20321

Every year my dad asks me what I want for Christmas. I always struggle to come up with stuff, but he enjoys buying presents. This year I thought of a good one.

He got me this and 2 WD 1.5TB green drives.

The NAS right now is a cheap $80 after MIR, and it packs a nice punch.
    • 2 drives as separate drive letters, Raid 0, or Raid 1
    • Very elaborate web interface for all sorts of options like user accounts, ftp, web hosting, p2p, etc
    I won't ramble about it, but I'm using it and love it. I use it with the software "Second Copy 7" so far for mirroring my shit to the NAS.

Ask away if you have questions. Just thought I'd suggest a nice cheap solution. One of these bad boys in Raid 1 is a great redundant storage solution. Now you just need offsite :x:

2. jshively

jshively OT Supporter

Damn that is cheap. Wish I would have found that earlier because my freaking 1TB drive was close to 120 bucks (160 if I would have bought the special formatted for OSX version).

Worst part of having an external is I never work out of my office with the laptop so there could be weeks where I have not backed up. What is dumber is at work I am the biggest prick about backup backup backup backup backup because I have been through countless exchange failures, SQL corruption, server crashes, etc. where the client never backed up and now magically wants the data restored to .0001 seconds before the crash. The one guy actually blamed me because he said RAID 5 should never have failed and I must have configured it wrong.

3. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

good god man :rofl:

4. jshively

jshively OT Supporter

I was so mad too because I did it as a favor for a friend type of thing. New start up (which I love to help), I recommend equipment, they bought the hardware/software, and I would configure it for no cost (all I ask is remember me when you make it big or if you crash give me first dibs on the equipment).

Backup system was not hard.
    Stop by.
    Grab tape.
    Put new tape in that is labeled with day that matches current day.
    Walk away.

Hell could had a receptionist do it but nope it was "to much work, a complicated system, and besides we already have redundancy so it is worthless."

I would have stayed and helped him as best I could have or burned a few favors if he would have treated me like a human being but instead I waved goodbye.

He ended up hiring my one buddy's company for consulting work and he made a killing off him.

To this day if I ever miss consulting (I just did it on the side and was hoping to grow into it) I think back to that and a few other moments and realize oh yeah for ever happy user there were 30 who were out to blame you for everything or worse the user thinks they know what they are doing.

5. mojito

mojito New Member

replace your home router with a time capsule :dunno:

6. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

yep

which is why rule #1 is "there are no friends in business"

you always get fucked for trying to help people out

7. Dan Martin

Dan Martin OT Supporter

I've got DNS-323 running in RAID1 and it's slow as balls, but it works.

8. quid

quid I Piss Excellence OT Supporter

I setup a FreeNAS box over the weekend on RAID5 with 3tb drives that SCREAMS.

~$275 before drives.

9. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

oh stop you love balls

also, full size of your AV pic please?

10. Heinzanova

Heinzanova OT Supporter

Why would you go with FreeNAS instead of say a base server install of CentOS? Where did you get 3TB drives? I am looking for higher density than my 1.5s and my 2tbs.

As for the gentleman who mentioned the raid5 failing, when ever I do a raid5 or raid6 volume that is over 6 drives and isn't daily manged/watched (either with nagios watching smartctl or munin configured to monitor it as a whole) I usually add an addition drive as a hotstandby with mdadm tool... pad it into the price some how ;-)

11. jshively

jshively OT Supporter

I like that idea. The install was basically a 3 drive set that was cheap and dirty since they had no money. It was enough to buy them some form of redundancy and still be functional.

When I was server based (now I am solely a L2 and L3 junkie) I was all over the board on which raid set I used depending on what the requirements were. For example, SQL I always used RAID 10 on the attached storage and RAID 1 or 5 for the OS.

12. quid

they are just regular 1tb seagate drives from newegg, 2x 7200.11 and 1 7200.12

im giving freenas a try because im not terribly well versed in linux and its intimidating :greddy:

13. Heinzanova

Heinzanova OT Supporter

god damn it so you mean you have 2TB of usable spaced.

Fucking making me think you had 3TB drives I was all :drool:

I am about to max out my storage box and I am waiting on 4TBs to migrate out the couple 1.5TB drives.

Yeah in a DB server I like todo:
    6x drives
    2xraid1 OS (73GB or something small)
    4 x raid 10 (SAS and fast 15k)

mmmm gives me a chubby thinking about it.

14. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

90% space for your movie downloads
    10% for important shit

amirite? :naughty:

15. quid

lol, i prob should have worded it differently lol.

I jsut run the system off a CF card, I'm prob going to add another tb to the array