DJ'ing for Parties - Equipment advice needed

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Create, Jan 12, 2007.

1. Create

Create :free at last:

A very good friend of mine is a DJ for parties. This isn't mixing and whatnot, it's simply playing appropriate music with some vocal annoucement here and there. We're looking to modernize his 20yr old setup.

Where we are:
    The current setup is fully analog. Two CD players (RCA jacks), two mic's (1/4"), all into mixer board, 1/4" out to amp. All music is on CD and we have about 2000 albums.

Where we want to go:
    We want to minimize setup/teardown time. We also want to run digital signals wherever possible into the mixer, in this case digital from the CD players (2) and PC, analog from the mic's. In the future we may run digital from the mixer to the amp but we're keeping the 1/4" analog (amp/speakers later).

We want to digitize the music collection so that we don't have to actually carry our 2k CD's to the venue. Most software likes the .mp3 format so we're going to rip everything to 256KB/s .mp3 and run a PC output on any digital format. I'm thinking we'll need two rather large HDD's.

We're thinking about a rack, possibly two short racks, to contain the existing amp, new rack-mount PC (w/ possible external sound and external video), new rack-mount HDD's & enclosure, an existing kareoke box that runs a few wireless mic's, new rack-mount dual CD (in case the computer fails), and a new mixer board to top one short rack.

The end goal is to be able to move the speakers/stands, rack(s), and a box with the screen/KB/mouse + mics. Quick, easy, fast setup as half the plugs are permanently attached and tied down within the rack.

Knowledge issues:
    Alot of the digital mixer boards accept digital coaxial input. The home audio world uses optical cables to hook audio components. The PC may run an optical out (notice we're using a rack mount as a requirement). How do I run input/output conversion, or is it even needed? Do I need an external sound card or should I find a mixer with optical inputs?

Budget & Shopping List: $3500
    1. Mixer board (3 analog, 3 digital inputs required)
    2. CD players (digital out required)
    3. PC (Do I need an external sound card in a rack mount? Do I need external video to run the lyrics display?)
    3. HDD's & enclosure
    4. Actual Racks
    5. LCD screen for PC + KB/mouse
    6. Software
    7. TV for kareoke display

Help:
    OT, I have no idea what brands are decent for price/value. I don't know how to match all the inputs/outputs. I don't know what software has decent features for the money. I don't know exactly what exactly is required for the computer audio and video outputs.

Cliffs:
    I'm modernizing a 20yr old DJ setup and need alot of help.

Thanks for the help!

2. Ronin

Ronin Guest

denon dj

pioneer dj

hand build the computer to save money

get a 500gb and u should be pretty much set, seagate is preferred brand here, western digital also works, maybe another 250 or 320 as well

computer parts: newegg, zipzoomfly

:dunno:

you can look at different products at guitarcenter.com they have tons of that kind of stuff

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2007
  3. Create

No fucking clue what this means. You've got two very different brands and the letters 'dj'.

The rack mount PC is built except for a/v functions. 500GB is far too small. I estimate 2TB.

4. Ronin

Ronin Guest

i was saying pioneer dj and denon dj as good brands for dj equipment, the dj things symbolize the series under each company

2tbs? hmmm, thats going to cost A LOT of money

5. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

You may also want to post something about this in The OT Tunes....Some of those guys might also be able to help.

While I did some DJing in college, it was just a radio broadcast for 3 hrs on Wednesday:mamoru: so I have no idea as to what to recommend for pro audio. But, yeah, check out the Tunes forum also.

http://forums.offtopic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=118

6. Create

I took your advice and reposted in the tunes forum.

Gotcha.

Dunno. Here's the math: 2000 albums * 65min/album * 60sec/min * 256KB/s = 1996800000KB = 2TB

7. Ronin

Ronin Guest

well ur gonna have to drop like 1k on just HDs atleast

hmm checking....
    a cd shouldnt top 150mb

150x2000 is 300kmb

300000 Megabyte (MB) = 292.96875 Gigabyte (GB)

online conversion = win

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2007
  8. eighteen_psi

eighteen_psi Active Member

I have a huge library of lame extreme VBR mp3s - Ronin is right, 150 is pretty high for an album. Overall they average around 100...more for longer, less for shorter.
    Because it won't cost much more, and because you'll be dicked in a huge way without it, RAID-1 a pair of 320-500GB disks. Disks fail..especially when you move them around a lot and what not. If you lose one mid-gig, you'll be the only person who knows and you can just replace it later. If you want the ultimate in cost-effective redundant storage, you need at least 3 disks...then you can do RAID-5, in which you only lose 1/* storage with * being the number of disks in the array...meaning 1/3 for a 3 disk array. You save space overall...but a controller for it will cost more than a basic raid 1/0 rig.

Oh - Buy a Plextor UltraPlex 40Max on eBay (or several), Rip with Exact Audio Copy in secure mode, encode with LAME, alt-preset standard should be enough but alt-preset extreme will be best. :)

Last edited: Jan 14, 2007
  9. Create

I'm an avid computer hardware/software junkie and rip for Oink successfully.

I found the error in the math (quite dumb). Encode rates are in kb/s, not kB/s, bits not bytes. My 2TB estimate can by divided by 8...250GB.

I'm looking at a pair of <this SATA 400GB WD> . 250'ish existing storage, can't be more than 15'ish for software, and that leaves alot of expansion room.

Great advice on the RAID 1 mirror. I hadn't thought of that. Maybe I can grommet some screwdowns to minimize the shock on the HDD's as well. I was hoping to mount the HDD's in the rack. I may rethink that. If I went with RAID 5 I'd definitely have to come up with a seperate softcase of some sort.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2007
  10. eighteen_psi

eighteen_psi Active Member

If you want a directly rackmountable rig, you could get a pair of LaCie D2 externals...they make a kit that lets you do em 2-wide in 1U...but then you're external either firewire or USB. Not nescessarily a problem but eh....

I run a fleet of them myself and they're some of the best externals (up there with g-tech and what not), but they are expensive for a given size and you're all but unable to RAID them. And I wouldn't go software myself.