DJGPP problems.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Symphony, Sep 12, 2003.

1. Symphony

Symphony If you take the blue pill, the story ends.

Hopefully I can find some help here.

Last year I started using DJGPP for my C++ classes. The computer I had than was all around a worse computer than the one I'm using now. For some reason, that system could compile programs faster (much faster) than the system I'm using now.

I'm not even making large programs. Things that are even less than 50 lines will still take 5-10 seconds. It's only DJGPP programs that take long to do anything, however. When I run any of them I'm met with a initial delay of a few seconds. This also includes programs I compile with DJGPP.

Basically it's getting really fucking annoying when I'm trying to work on a program quickly and I run into all of these slowdowns. Any help?

I'm using DJGPP 2.03 and Windows XP.

Edit: By the way, I can't switch to CYGWIN or any other Windows compiler because my professor will compile the programs with DJGPP and different compilers tend to come up with different errors at different times. Apparently :dunno:

2. crotchfruit

crotchfruit Guest

that's pretty whacky. which OS were you using on your old computer when things were fast? i'm guessing a 9x version?

it could be something to do with the protected mode driver that winxp uses. i.e. the winxp protected mode driver takes a little longer to initialize because of all the kernel/protection stuff winxp has that win9x doesn't.

3. Symphony

Symphony If you take the blue pill, the story ends.

It's weird but I can't remember :o Only got rid of it like 4 months ago too :dunno: I'm pretty sure I put XP on it though.

Oh, I think I also had a different version of DJGPP on that one, so that could be a factor in that too.