GUN DIY trigger work?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by huntz0r, Mar 8, 2006.

1. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

The trigger on my Hi-Point sucks dong. It's really the main weak point of the gun, besides its capacity, which doesn't really bug me too much. I was wondering if maybe there is something I can do to improve it... open it up, polish certain bits, what have you.

I've already figured on polishing the feed ramp, although it doesn't FTF, it does tend to require a push or slap to load the first round of a mag. Also, I need to figure out how the hell to take it apart (the slide retainer pin may just require a shitload of force to get it out, I haven't managed)

2. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

Is this a parody? :hsugh:

3. jimmybuffett

jimmybuffett New Member

4. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

Parody? No... but I'm ignant :dunno:

Is what I am asking about impossible to do?

5. eWRXshun

eWRXshun hai

dremel, polish (not sand) any part that catches on another or rubs on another. mirror finish.

6. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Active Member

Good way to kill yourself or someone else when it comes to traditional hammers/sears; this ain't a Glock.

7. eWRXshun

eWRXshun hai

do explain?

i think he knows i mean in the trigger group, not the hammer itself or portions of the slide rails.

8. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Active Member

I wouldn't be so sure considering the tone/nature of his post.

While I know virtually nothing about the BHP, I do know that it was modeled after a 1911. If it works somewhat the same, the only thing that I could think of polishing would be where the trigger bar makes contact with the disconnector. Again, I'm not sure if this is how it works, but that will give a better trigger pull; also, reducing the poundage of the mainspring (if there is one) will allow for a somewhat easier pull because tension on the hammer would be reduced.

The only way to really get a good trigger is with the use of ceramic stones and needle files. No offense, but it doesn't sound like the user is capable of doing the job. And, honestly, by the sound of it, he may want to have a competant gunsmith rework it.

9. eWRXshun

eWRXshun hai

10. Artyboy

I've heard that you can do some stuff to a hi-point to make them better. I have no idea how to go about it, though. I've been thinking about buying one just for a cheap plinker. I've got about 5 other guns I want to get first, though. Post if you find any info on how to improve it.

11. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Active Member

OOPS! Guess I should learn how to read.

Okay, I know how to fix the trigger.

1. Unload mag
    2. Throw mag in trash
    3. Remove slide
    4. Wack it twice with a hammer (this should nearly demolish it since it's crappy steel)
    5. Drop frame on concrete
    6. Place crap in trash can
    7. Go to gun shop and buy a real gun

:noes:

12. Artyboy

13. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

You can learn to do trigger work, but its quite unsafe to just grab a dremel and go to town and I doubt you'll have much luck finding someone to walk you through it on a cheap gun like that. Take it back to the pawn shop, get as much money back as a you can, then buy a better gun.

14. twofourtysx

twofourtysx New Member

It's a $150 gun. It would be better to just use it for a plinker and save up for a better gun

15. 70Machwon

70Machwon New Member

ouch, he just wanted to know if he can improve it, a simple " Trigger work can be delicate, its best not to mess with it unless you know what your doing" would work. He likes his hi-point and it didnt cost much and got him shooting. Dont tell him to turn around and sell it just becuase it may be a little worse then your precious high dollar guns.

16. twofourtysx

twofourtysx New Member

I wouldnt sell it. I would keep it for a plinker. But I wouldnt try to improve on a $150 gun. The room for improvment just isnt there.

17. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Active Member

IMHO, there's nothing worth keeping as far as a $150 pistol goes.

Yeah, it isn't a $1,500 semi-custom, hell, it ain't even a $500 Glock -- it's a POS with the worst reputation of any semi-auto handgun currently on the market. Why are they still in business? Probably because they sell the worst pieces of shit to unsuspecting gun buyers. You need a gun and you can't afford something decent -- buy a Hi-Point. You don't have too much money and need a car -- you buy a Suzuki.

I'm not insulting anyone here nor their choices. I congratulate any gun owner and anyone who takes pride in excercising their 2nd Amendment right. However, back to the topic at hand --

If you are considering modifying the trigger, then do it with caution. If you are considering putting any more money into the gun, then I would reconsider. Honestly, spend the money on a better gun.

I, too, started out with shit a long time ago. However, I learned, and grew; my knowledge and my collection grew and I learned what was crap, and what wasn't. There's lots of knowledge from many members here and on other forums. Consider the purchase you made. Ask yourself why you spent $150 on a gun and wondered why the trigger wasn't up to par and why you have trouble feeding the first round. Then, wonder what a few more bucks could have done for you and how it could have minimalized your problems.

If a few thought about that before making whimsical purchases, then companies like Hi-Point would cease to exist. The only thing they do well is their carbine, I'll give them that. How they accompished that small feat, is unknown. It's just a damn shame that they couldn't put that much work/effort into their other guns. Production costs are low, because they manufacture virtual crap. They made the bed, they should lie in it. l

18. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

:slap:

Ok, some of you obviously haven't paid any attention to my previous posts.

I didn't buy this gun at a pawn shop or whatever because it was the cheapest thing they had. I researched it and found nearly all positive experiences from people who own them, just like the company's 9mm carbines. So I found a fair price on one at a gun show ($130) and bought it and got a spare mag... and went shooting. It's my second firearm after the Ruger MkII I've had for a year. Just wanted a 9mm auto, and $150 is easy to justify. Duh.

In fact, even after reading glowing reviews, I was surprised how good this gun was after I bought it. I expected a crappy trigger, and occasional jams, and shitty ergonomics... and only got one of the above. The trigger is - as I said - one of only two functional areas where this gun is lacking and the only one I actually care about. I've put 250 rounds through it so far, and only one FTL (and in fact, I think I loaded the mag wrong in that instance). You have to smack it around at times, in the same way you might have to smack a CZ-52 around. It's not a big deal. I'm not expecting to CC the damn thing or rely on it for anything more than perforating paper targets.

I don't think Hi-Point has "the worst reputation of any semi-auto handgun currently on the market" at all; they actually seem to have the best reputation by far, as cheap ass guns go. This seems to be backed up with my experience, which is that the gun has no frills whatsoever, but you can't say it doesn't work. The C9 pistol really is the 9mm carbine in handgun form, with all the same pluses and minuses. (Maybe the carbine isn't a fluke great product from a company that makes 100% shit... OMG imagine that!!)

ANYway.

It appears the answer here is that trigger work is much more delicate than I had been led to believe. Which is a sufficient answer to my question. Maybe I'll find some info elsewhere if I dig, but I don't expect there to be a real big Hi-Point C9 modderz undahground.

The rest of you haters can go DIAF :p

19. Dsking85

Dsking85 New Member

damn USMC. if it's not an HK, u don't like it. hi-points are actually known to be great guns. i've heard the thing about the trigger, and i know since i used to have a 9mm carbine w/ a shitty trigger. but other than that they're supposed to be awesome

20. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Sorry if it came off the wrong way, the central point I was trying to make is there is no way to do it without spending money and time, or even more money, and it isn't a gun worth putting either into. If it were 15 minutes with a dremel it might be another story, but its more involved. I drive an old car, I understand. It works, but at the same time I understand my car isn't deserving of a paintjob, or new wheels ;)

If you'd like an example of whats involved, here's a walk through of a trigger job on a kel-tec rifle http://www.thearmedcitizen.com/gunpages/s2kfb.htm

21. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

Indeed. Definitely out of my element on this one. Good to know, I guess, I still can't complain about value even with a shitty trigger so it's all good. :)