DIY speaker stands for a unique situation

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by BlazinBlazer Guy, Nov 12, 2003.

1. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

I'm trying to mount some studio monitors above my computer monitor (CRT)

I first tried setting the speakers (small bookshelf sized) directly on the CRT but it kept throwing off the monitor's geometry with the speaker magnets. Ideally I'd just like to get the speakers up above the monitor enough to eliminate the magnet problem, but I don't know of any good ways to do it.

ideas, please? :hs:

2. 04

04 Guest

Well I have to put my speakers a good 4 feet on either side of the monitor to prevent magnetic interference. You might have to do the same :sad2:

Try playing with the positioning to see if you can get it into a spot that doesnt cause any distortions in the picture.

3. Finest

Finest OG #93

Get magnetically shielded speakers?... :dunno:

4. BlazinBlazer Guy

unfortunately I'm working on a limited budget (meaning I haven't spent more than $1 so far, like to keep this less than like $10)

I'm using an old stereo reciever with a broken tuner section but good aux input (Pioneer SX-680 if anyone cares) to amplify for some leftover old bookshelf speakers which in their day were called "studio monitors" (although anymore they wouldn't quite qualify- they're vintage 1980) as well as for my headphones.

I wonder how hard it would be to mount these things from a drop ceiling, being that they're about 5 pounds each. I'm working in a corner area so going on the sides of the monitor would be a problem.

:hs:

5. Finest

Finest OG #93

Cheapskate huh? :p

Just place them as close as you can to the monitor w/o messing up the screen. Do you "need" them to be next to the monitor? How about behind you? How big is your desk?

From the ceiling would be fine, or off the wall is good too. But then you would have to spend a few bucks on brackets and screws... :p

6. BlazinBlazer Guy

I'm not opposed to spending like $20 on this stuff... its primarilly to give me a little better 2-channel setup than what I've been working with on my computer - I have a good 2-ch setup in another room which all my $$ went into.

My desk is relatively small and in the corner... actually here's a pic to give you the general idea (there is now a reciever sitting on top of the computer tower though)

[​IMG]