DIY network storage?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Soace Munky, Jun 15, 2005.

1. Soace Munky

Soace Munky New Member

I have some old SCSI drives lying around, i want to put together a system that i can have on my network so i can dump files there.
    aside from a stripped-down windows (or linux?) machine, i cant think of anything, im a terrible newbie.

Anybody looked into this before? Any hellp/tips greatly apperciated.

2. stoliohranj

stoliohranj beautiful fucking tits man

you've basically got it right.

you'll need a box to hold them i'd get a larger one, depending on how many drives you want to put in it.
    a motherboard with some sort of processor and ram - a p3 or amd k6/early athalon would do just fine assuming you're just using this for storage pc 133 sdram would be fine, 384mb would be fine, especially if you are running linux
    a system drive - a small ide drive prolly in the 5-20gb range
    a controller card - scsi controller with sufficient capabilities for the number of drives you are running
    a network card - any card should work
    power supply - will probably come with your case, but make sure you get one with enough punch to power up all of those drives.

linux would be cheapest (free) and if you get redhat 10 (i'm sure someone still has it served or a bit-torrent) it should be fairly easy to get up and running
    windows 2k or 2k3 server would be easiest, but that would required better processor/ram requirements and costs some major bank, sure you can get it illegally, but i would advise against that for several reasons.

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

they never had redhat 10... and why the fuck would you run an outdated (redhat) os anyway?

4. Soace Munky

Soace Munky New Member

excellentm thanx! thats exactly what im gonna do.
    im gonna build a box out of some wood, make it purty. i think i've got all the components somewhere in my basement.

5. stoliohranj

lol, i made a server out of a milk crate and old parts. used it as a file server till i got an old case from a family member when they upgraded.

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

if you make it out of wood, you need to use grounding straps at the least. But I highly recommend using metal because it works as a faraday cage.

7. stoliohranj

if he's using old scsi drives he has laying around, and random parts he has in his basement i doubt he is overly concerned with emf/data corruption.

that said, he is right, although if you are handy and can build yourself a box, and you are looking to save money wherever you can, building your own box shouldn't be a big problem.

8. Soace Munky

Soace Munky New Member

building it out of wood was my dad's idea, just so it looks nifty and goes with the furniture.
    whats the big concern with emf interference, anyways?

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

well, considering its a file server, data integrity MIGHT be a concern :mamoru:

10. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

It's fairly easy to get a Linux box up and running as a Windows file server. Samba is quite beautiful really.

11. stoliohranj

:ugh:

okay lets go down the list

a) this is some kid with a bunch of spare parts
    b) he doesn't know exactly what he needs for a basic file sharing server
    c) he wants it to match his furniture

i'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest that this won't be a 99.99999% uptime server running here with crucial files stored on it. if a couple mp3 files or some shared pictures get borked from a rouge tv emf, i seriously doubt it will be the end of his world. sometimes the extra cost for 'perfect' just isn't worth it. come on man, lighten up.

and by the way they DID make a redhat 10, and the reason i suggested it is because it was their most noob friendly release. the newer fedora core is designed more towards ppl that know what they are doing. i was suggesting something that had a nice gui and came with samaba packages and many common drivers built in.

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

trust me, when this guys data is fucked up, WE'LL hear about it because there will be a post bitching about it.,

13. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

Ubuntu>any RedHat release for noob friendliness.

I know...I'm the ultimate Linux noob.