GUN DIY Collapsable Stands For Hanging Targets

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Market Garden, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Yesterday I ordered a couple of 8" round AR500 steel targets from http://www.arntzentargets.com/products.htm

[​IMG]

I've seen lots of rebar target stands, but I wanted one that I could break down totally into just the short straight rebar bits, rather than one that folded, but was still like 4.5' long. I have seen stands made out of 2 pieces of bent rebar that were welded together. I figured if I made a "hub" out of tubing in the shape of the bent rebar that I could then insert straight rebar legs into the hub, and a piece of rebar with a hook bent in it as the target hanger. The whole thing then would break down into the rebar bits and the hub. I didn't feel like doing real work while at work today so I went down to our mechanic shop and grabbed some tubing, bent it, welded it, and then painted it. I'm waiting for it to dry now. Then I'll go down and cut some rebar legs and the hanger piece. I'll post up a pic when the stand is totally put together, for now here's a crappy phone pic of the hub.

[​IMG]

2. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

for some reason I am not picturing how that will work, but I could be having a retard moment.

nice job btw

EDIT: paint the steel targets too, then after you shoot for a while, all you have to do is just re-spray paint them again (black). easier to see your shots-on, plus makes it so you can just keep re-using the targets for a fraction of the cost of any paper shit that you might put on.

3. Keesh

Keesh New Member

What kind of stuff can those plates take? Just handgun calibers? Cool looking target, I need to make some eventually.

4. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

I know a guy who gets 12"x12" of 1/4" or 1/2" (can't remember) steel pieces, welds thick chain to the top and hangs them from cheap wooden frames he built. Has 1" plates for .223 at 100+ yards. the thinner stuff handles pistol calibers

5. They can take centerfire rifle @ decent distances depending on what it is. If you follow the link in my first post and read their site they talk about it. I'm running off to lunch now, I'll post finished pics when I get back.

6. AustinL911

AustinL911 Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

I have that same hammer.

7. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

:rofl:

8. AustinL911

It's a good hammer, Bro.

9. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

Stanley fiberglass, amirite?

I prefer a heavier hammer :dunno:

10. AustinL911

No idea. I just beat on things with it.

11. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

pretty sure that's what it is. My old man has one and I just never though it felt very balanced, nor had the heft to it that I desire in a hammer.

[​IMG]

12. Here's a shot of it assembled. It's real stable with that wide base, and should have no problem at all handling a 5lb target.

[​IMG]

13. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

k now it makes sense. the first picture was the piece to HOLD the rebar. gotcha now.

14. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

just careful with ricochets on the rebar. i know my buddy had that issue and that's why he uses a wooden frame. but it's funny, every once in a while someone will take a stray shot and the chain will get shot and break :rofl:

15. Keesh

Keesh New Member

That's badass. I think I'm going to have to make some next time I visit the family so I can use the MIG.

16. I'll be more than 100 yards away. Also, since the rebar is round it shouldn't ricochet straight back. The 20' length of rebar cost me $6 and I have enough left over that I have a spare leg and a spare target holder piece.

17. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

yeah I wasn't talking about ricocheting towards you anyways. i shouldn't have even made the comment, I know you're smarter than that anyways for your backdrop

18. Thanks. :) My local club has welded rebar stands like that for their plates, my take on it was just to add the tubes to make the hub so it could be taken down.

19. :wavey: It's for use at my parents' cabin. We shoot in a big gravel pit, so there are huge dirt berms all around.

20. Keesh

Keesh New Member

yeah, that's how we do it here too. But they are all once piece and very awkward to move more than one at a time. I've never seen one like yours before but it's a really good idea.

21. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

I've seen pictars :naughty:

lucky bastard

22. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

you should make a few of them and sell them to some of us, then we can each get our own rebar

:dunno: how much time/effort it took you.

23. PM'd you.

24. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

RE'd you.

25. ChipOnShoulder

ChipOnShoulder New Member

Where was your parent's cabin again?

:cool: