DIY car audio?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Down623, Nov 8, 2006.

1. Down623

Down623 What's the Catch?

Hey guys, I'm looking to upgrade the head unit/speakers on my 92 Stanza. Now, I don't have a very large budget at all, and I was wondering just how complex it would be to install this stuff myself. I mean, I assume once I get a wiring harness I can pop the head unit in not much problem, and same with the speakers right? I've done some basic rewiring when we renovated the basement, but not loads.

Would it be worth it to just fork over the money to someone in a shop? I'm not looking for an amp or sub or anything, just speakers that don't rattle when I listen to talk radio and a better way to play my iPod.

2. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

shit, just watch your local best buy or circuit city to see who's running the better sale. both of them have decent equipment, and are competent enough to install a CD player and speakers. A deck and 4 speakers can be had for about $350 installed. Go ahead and get some decent front speakers, like Kicker 6.5s for a better/brighter tweeter. I listen to talk radio a lot myself, and I know that sometimes, a little more treble helps when someone calls into a show and sound very muffled. Something with an Aux input might be a good idea, as i think the iPod controlling radios get pricey.

3. Down623

Well I've been doing a lot of shopping around online, I know what head unit I want to get, it's gotten good reviews, but I was just wondering if it was worth it to save the extra cash and install it myself.

4. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

IIRC, there's a good amount of work to do a radio in a 92 Stanza. might as well let them break it, i mean put the stuff in.

what radio you lookin at?

5. rfh625

rfh625 New Member

best buy will install your head unit for free. At least they did a few months ago for me. I would then say try and install the speakers yourself im pretty sure you can handle it.

6. Down623

Panasonic CQ-C7103U. How much you think it'll cost to get installed? I want to buy everything on the internet so I can save some cash, so I doubt it'll be free.

7. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

about $70 after parts labor and tax. think you'll save that much buying it online? doubtful, but if i know an internet shopper.....

edit: breakdown: $35-45 labor, $15 wiring harness, $10-15 for antenna adaptor, assuming you have the diversity antenna in that car, which many earlier nissans do, then add on about 3-5% shop material fees and tax. look for the free install sale at your local retailer. it will be cheaper.

circuit city has this on sale for $179 with free install PLUS 25% off speakers with radio purchase.
    cheapest on pricegrabber is $124 + shipping.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2006